Sensitive Subject

I had a quick question for the laser community before I joined. I’d like to learn how to engrave (hardware and software) for engraving firearms specifically. Due to the sensitively of my interest I figured I’d throw the question on here before joining. I would like to make sure I know what I’m doing (and what to look for) before purchasing my own unit and was curious if the makerspace was somewhere I could do that. Again I understand everyone doesn’t hold the same opinion on firearms so I want to get clarity before I signed up.

As I understand it, any work on firearms is not allowed.

Trust me, I wish it wasn’t the case. However, I understand the concern.

1 Like

That definitely makes sense. I figured bringing in specific parts (unassembled) would work but again not a ask for forgiveness type situation. Thanks for the response! Is it possible to get the knowledge I’m searching for without being hands on. My concerns is the placement and shape of the items and getting accurate renderings/results as they are not flat like I see in a lot of examples.

You might ask if Mister Guns in Plano can engrave firearms for you.

1 Like

I’m looking to learn to do myself. Sometimes its nice just to create things own your own from beginning to end. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Gunsmithing is not allowed due to concerns with the ATF.

Decorative modifications should be allowed.

We will teach you several ways to use our lasers, but the specifics for your use will be up to you to research and practice.

We have co2 lasers. You would probably want to focus on the help zing.

Membership includes free training on the lasers. That worth a great deal :wink:.

3 Likes

Yeah definitely talk decorative such as logos and stippling only not gunsmithing. Is is possible to buy your own unit and get assistance on how to use it specifically?

1 Like

You should come take a tour on a Thursday night. Check the Events page for details. I’ll warn you, after about 2 minutes into the tour I was hooked! It’s an amazing place and well worth the money in my opinion.

1 Like

Thanks for asking the question.

All work on firearms (using a broad definition of firearms, not the BATFE-specific definition) is prohibited at Dallas Makerspace. Our policy does not allow cosmetic modifications to firearm components. You can read our detailed policy here:

I don’t think you’re going to have much success trying to engrave metal with the CO2 lasers (although you could laser mark metal with Cermark, which technically isn’t engraving). We don’t have a pulsed fiber laser that would be suitable for engraving metal/firearms anyway.

Check out Laserstar Fiber Cube. That will give you an idea of what you need. But I understand it’s real pricey - so maybe you can find something similar for less $$.

But having said that - we’re still a pretty kewl place. Like @JW_TX suggests … come for a tour. Tours are free. You’ll be hooked!

1 Like

I agree with everything you’ve said with a small modification. If someone were to bring model 1911 grips completely detached from any other gun parts, they are just two pieces of wood or whatever the material is. At that point, they would be allowed, however putting a decoration or logo on a 1911 frame is a no go.

3 Likes

You’re correct. The policy specifically exempts grips from the prohibition, as long as the rest of the firearm doesn’t come with it.

I guess I didn’t think about wooden grips … I just assumed metal ('cuz I was thinking slides).

1 Like

Lasers like ours (CO2) are great at removing costings like bluing, anodizing, and parkerizing. This is a fairly common practice. For example this result from Google.

I would love to do this kind of stuff. I’m hoping in the future the rules will relax. They’re unreasonable right now. The rules go far beyond what is necessary.

5 Likes