Send Joe to Japan

I’ve recently found this educational trip to Japan through an art school in New York City called The School of Visual Arts. They take non student applicants, and after applying to it they accepted me into the 2-week long program in June of this year. It has a hefty tuition cost, and travel to and from Japan isn’t covered in that cost either. Overall, it’s an expensive trip but it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity.

On this trip I’ll be getting hands on experience learning traditional Japanese craft and design from the artisans who do it every day. Then at the end of the trip I’ll get a chance to draft and mock up a product design. That product design will then go to the New York Museum of Modern Art where they will select one of the designs to be sold through their MoMA Wholesale program.

It’s a big ask of all of you, but any financial assistance that you could provide would be much appreciated. I’ve set up a GoFundMe that has more information, as well as some links to the websites that have the rest of the information. Thanks for taking your time to read through this. I really appreciate it!

2 Likes

Congrats to you Joe! This is a big deal.
If you don’t know Joe - take a look here to get to know him a bit.

Being accepted to this caliber of a program is outstanding. I can’t wait to see how this changes your aesthetic.

2 Likes

Be sure to shop around for the flight you can get flights as low at 670-750 R/T

Dallas to Tokyo is usually the cheapest flights

You may also like the Japanese rail system

https://m.japan-rail-pass.co.uk/mobile

3 Likes

Get the Tourist Pass for Japan Rail. You must have your paperwork in hand before you leave the country as they don’t sell them inside Japan.

When you arrive, you go downstairs to the basement level at the airport where the trains are. Go to the Japan Rail office, fill out a small form and turn it along with your tourist pass paperwork into the folks behind the counter. They will give you a rail pass that you just show to walk right through and use the JR subway trains, busses, and the high speed trains. It covers most of the country, with a couple of small exceptions where there’s an added fee - way over in the western side and down in the southwest corner of the country.

5 Likes

I’ll look into those flights and that train pass. Thanks for the tips!

@tomthm is a resident Japan expert from what Ive learned - if you have any tips please share.

If you’ll be in one location the whole time, paying subway/local train fare by the trip may be cheaper. But if you’re traveling IN Japan, probably better to get the tourist rail pass. @Raymond is correct, you can only get here, once you’ve arrived it’s not an option. The rail/subway is excellent and not tough to use. It’s one of my favorite parts of visiting Japan. Have fun!

1 Like

Don’t worry about a thing while you are there. I’ve been there twice and it’s amazingly safe. My co-worker left his wallet on top of a pay phone there once and a lady chased him down to give it back to him.

The food is amazing and I ate everything without recourse. Try that in Mexico City. OOPS.

1 Like