Selling the Canon XL1s MiniDV Cameras?

I wanted to find out who else would be in favor of selling the two Canon XL1S for some extra cash to use to buy some more relevant cameras or audio equipment?

These cameras record on MiniDV tape cassettes and only output in SD quality video.

The cameras are for sale:
…on Dallas Craigslist used in nice condition for $200 to $450 > http://bit.ly/1L3aP9v

…on ebay with bids from $0.99 to $249 and no bids from $250-$300 > http://ebay.to/1Nhz1Le

…on Amazon for $300 to $350 > http://amzn.to/1FQtWXB

I would propose using the money to buy a couple inexpensive 1080 HD quality webcams ($50-75 each) and a 12+ channel audio mixer ($200-250).

What are your thoughts?

1 Like

I would suggest having this discussion with the digital media committee chair (Jay?). It is up to them how digital media funds are spent. Your case is best made with them, perhaps at the upcoming committee meeting.

1 Like

Yes, we were speaking about other topics just a minute ago… I thought I would throw this idea out there in the open to get some feedback/thoughts since waiting to meet each other in person or the next committee meeting might be a few days.

Just looking to discuss things ahead of time, to save time.

1 Like

Sounds like a good case to teach a handful of classes.

It was discussed when Natasha was chair that she would try to sell them but I don’t think anything was done. If they sell them and get the money for a decent HD camcorder I think it’s a win/win.

1 Like

Well we do have the Sony RX10 that you will be training on this weekend. What is the benefit for a ‘camcorder’ vs a DSLR?

I use a Canon T3i for my photo and video stuff. I like it, but would like to get some more lenses for it.

The only difference is the 30minute limit on the video recording, as far as I know that’s it. They updated the firmware now it can do 120fps so we can do slow mo video, and some other features I’m trying to find. It’s a great camera for video, I guess consumer camcorders are a moot point now with really good cellphone cameras and DSLR’s that shoot HD video.

Ahh yeah I forgot all about that… Mine does stop filming for 1 second and then continues filming using a new file. So once I film more than like 30 minutes of 720p HD it creates another file that I have to splice together in post editing.

I think the pro to using DSLRs is that they cost about $1,000 less than an actual camcorder.
EDIT: so maybe I am behind the times on that. I see a few consumer HD camcorders for $200-300 and some nice pro-sumer camcorders for $700-800.

I tend to do most of my recording at a desk or in a studio, so a USB HD webcam does plenty for me.

1 Like

Camcorders offer a lot of features that DSLR cameras don’t like multiple balanced audio inputs with independent adjustments for each, redundant recording media in case one storage card fails, third party battery systems with significantly larger batteries, integrated lights or mounts for lights, much better integrated microphones, the list is longer the more money you want to spend on a camcorder.

For someone shooting only video and doing it for a living these are worthwhile features. For hobbyists and tinkering these differences don’t really matter. I’m in favor of selling the old SD camcorders. Whatever features they offer are a moot point these days since they are SD video.

2 Likes

As far as the Canon XL1’s, my plans were to sell them.
Also, over the summer, Digital Media purchased a 6 channel mixer (Tascam DR-70D) which should be in the 3rd locker space. The mixer is more than enough for DMS purposes.

Good luck!

1 Like

Oh yeah I got to see that Tascam which is really nice. Great for film work on camera.

The mixer I had in mind was more for desk work like livestreaming or broadcasting. Similar to this small 8-input Behringer mixer > http://amzn.to/1Ph2WT8

I have an analog Behringer mixer DMS can borrow long term. If I recall correctly it’s a Behringer UB802.

2 Likes

I have an older Alesis MultiMix Firewire 16 that the space can have. http://www.alesis.com/multimix16firewire

Its firewire though. Let me know if the space wants it or if anyone wants it really.

If it still has drivers, we can get a PCI-E Firewire adapter to use it on the editing computer.

@AlexRhodes If you’re looking to get rid of the mixer, and the space doesn’t want it, I’m interested in it.

-DV

@lukeiamyourfather if you want to slap a ‘Loaned from’ sticker on that UB802, I can bring in a couple cables to go with it and get it connected to one of the machines in the Digital Media Room. Maybe place it somewhere up high in the black vertical cabinet outside the room.

I know the other night someone was using a machine to skype or teleconference with someone from China and Jay help rig up a bunch of stuff to get audio etc.

The makerspace should definitely accept the donation from @AlexRhodes. That’s a much better mixer than the Behringer UB802 and even though it’s FireWire it still has analog outputs like any other mixer. If we want there are PCI Express cards for FireWire for around $30.

2 Likes

Just bumping this thread back to the top again…

Can we list the XL1s-es for sale yet? I say we ask $350 for both and take anything over $200…

1 Like