Self Study availability online

I was able to take the self study online from home for the Bridgeport, but other tools seem only to be available on premises from the DMS N drive. Are there any plans to make these available online, or is there any reasoning to prevent that from occurring? Seems like a mild inconvenience and barrier to entry for folks that want to sign up for courses but can’t get to the space all the time just to hop on the computers and not actually make anything.

1 Like

You can get to the shared drive by using the jump server, that’s the way most of us access them. Check the wiki for connection instructions.

1 Like

Understood! I’ll give it a read through. Hopefully my confusion illuminates this for others.

3 Likes

For ease of access for others that might read this topic:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Category:Infrastructure#Jump_Server

4 Likes

FWIW, I like this page:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/JumpServerFAQ
(which is linked from the page you linked, but this gets more ‘to the heart’ of the JumpServer more quickly for someone who know about it, but not how to use it)

I think Jim @hon1nbo did an online portion. I vaguely remember it. I’ll have to check into it.

Some folks like myself that would like to do self study from our places of work, while on lunch or otherwise, have strict IT policies that prevent remote desktop or offsite storage access. An online portion would be a nice complement to the Jump Server, as well as remain compliant. As it is, it’s a minor inconvenience, since I could always access the Jump Server from home, but it would be helpful.

For what this is worth, many of us agree. “The Moodle” was fired up, and attempts have been made, but the only class that has actually made it through that process is for the PolyPrinters in 3D Fab (thanks to @themitch22 and @axeonos). There are many others “in the works”, but nothing else (to my recollections) has actually managed to struggle through…

I’m not even expecting full fledged classes online, just self studies since hands on learning for the actual classes is a huge benefit, keeping on topic with Machine Shop at least. Not to say this couldn’t be a broader topic in other committee areas outside of this thread.

it’s a functional online exam that will tie into AD; last I checked Dwight had the last pieces in hand to tidy up (any update @denzuko ?)

However at the heart of this there is no reason the copies of these should only be found on the share; they should be on the wiki, or ideally on Google Drive (with our G Suite account we can have collaborative editing on private versions to create updated versions, and public read-only copies that can be accessed anywhere.

Metal Shop uses G Suite pretty heavily for that stuff and it’s been great. We keep some copies on the committee share, and keep other stuff there as well for use with CAD software on premises (where it makes more sense since getting CAD edits through G Suite on our systems would be technically challenging)

To add on that most of the classes Hackerspace/vcc has are up on google class room. They’re documented on /c/vcc.

The AD thing; yeah freeipa has been up for some time now and there’s been involvement on updating maker manager to help be a self serving portal which is pending the release of the calendar api to dev and the dms pwa app. (nearly have alpha 1.0 done)

This isn’t what I’m talking about… I’m referring to the script to grab the Google Sheet of exam results and make AD entries using a service account.

Double check my github. there should be something there if not let me know and I’ll push up the code I have.

@TBJK, @BobKarnaugh … If Kenneth volunteers to put this online for us, would you object?

Not at all. If it pushes us forward in a positive direction, I’m good with it.

If I know:
• What I’m uploading
• Where it’s being uploaded
• How to upload it
Then I’ve got no issues getting the existing material into the right place the next time I’m at DMS. I can’t say I’ll be able to maintain any future documentation, but I’m willing to try and get what’s there up and in the right place for future online access.

still missing sections on like actually updating ldap it seems. Wasn’t sure if you had uncommitted code that flushed it out or not.

1 Like

The add group code is posted. I’ll need to put it up on the development environment to test but there’s also a dockerfile there if one wants to pull it into their own to test.