Seeking Sunlight Remembered

Back in March Nicole @uglyknees started a thread inviting members to Post Your Joy Here that I suspect was a way to encourage members to divert some attention to something less irritating than the DMS drama of the moment.

The old thread: Seeking Sunlight: Post your Joy here

This is a joy and an outright brag on my kiddo who has learned lots of life stuff at a darned young age. Oh, and while I might be able to take some credit for the problem-solving DNA, the looks are clearly from her Momma!

How about posting your Joys be they Makery, Family, or ???

12 Likes

Congratulations! That’s quite an accomplishment!

I’ve been making jam, and it turns out I’m actually not bad at it. I started out with nectarine jam, because nectarines are my favorites and I feel like they don’t get enough spotlight compared to the diva the peach. Then, because I can’t help myself, I decided that it needed spice to it so I added honey and serrano peppers to the next batch, and I’m in LOVE :heart_eyes:. Its the perfect combo of sweet and spicy and tangy. Its amazing on biscuits (obviously), but I also really like it mixed in with my yogurt.

This was my first foray into water bath canning, still too chicken to invest in the equipment for pressure canning.

Next I think I’ll start working on strawberry jam, if I can find some decent looking strawberries. Or maybe Apple or something with a fall feeling to it. Not sure.

3 Likes

There is a blueberry farm in East Tx that my sister goes to for her blueberry jam supplies. If you foray into blueberries please let me know. It is the best jam for lemon bread.

2 Likes

We’re in East Tx all the time to visit family, I’ll have to check it out!

Side story, my grandfather had a friend with a blueberry/emu farm that he would take me to all the time. It was wild.

1 Like

That sounds fabulous! My first foray into jelly making was tuna jelly. Now, before you puke, recall that the fruits on the Opuntia cactus are called tunas. These tunas plus ghost peppers were the bomb!

Now my neighbors continued to think I was out of my mind, as I picked the tunas off the cactus with a hotdog tongs, then removed all those teeny tiny spines with a little blow torch. There’s nothing worse than getting one of those stuck in your mouth somewhere.

I’m getting ready to take those cactus down, in order to restain the fence behind them. If anyone wants some cactus paddles to plant, let me know.

3 Likes

Nectarines are my favorite fruit as well. Adding honey and serrano was genius!

A few years ago, I tried infusing tequila with nectarines, and unfortunately, couldn’t get the flavor to shine through. I redid the infusion with peaches, cilantro and seeded jalapeno, and came up with a crowdpleaser. I really wanted the nectarines to work, but chalked it up to the crop available that year.

1 Like