Seeking small angle stock locally

Can anyone recommend a local source for small angle stock? (preferably aluminum, but I could be flexible).

In my perfect world, each leg would be 1/4" long and about 1/16" thick.

I found what I want online but I hate to spend $20 to ship a $2.48 piece of metal.

EDIT: I can buy this in brass from the local hobby shops, but I’m still looking for aluminum. Thanks.

That’s an extrusion based on the shape. Have you considered using the finger brake in Machine shop or do you need the extruded shape? You can probably get one leg folded at .250, but the other leg would probably have to be trimmed to size in order to have enough material for it to grip. But it’ll have a radiused outside corner unlike an extrusion. Likely 1/8"R since 2T is generally considered minimum bend radius.

.5" legs are about the smallest I could find at online stores in Aluminum.

I do not need the extruded shape. This is purely a cosmetic item. I don’t have good success getting a bend that’s parallel to the edge, but I also haven’t used the finger brake. That’s worth a try I guess - I expect to have some thinner stock soon anyway.

If it is cosmetic, have you looked in the tile section of Home Depot/ Lowes or a large tile store like Floor and Decor? Something like this is common for finishing out tile edges

1 Like

Hmmm. That’s an interesting suggestion. Thanks.

Could you 3D model it then make a pewter cast. Finish and polish by hand.

Along the same lines, there is a display of various metal shapes near nuts and bolts and door hardware. The closest I have seen is a 1/2 by 1/2 C channel. You can cut it down on the Bridgeport.

You did not specify the needed length. 1/4 by 1/4 is not very strong for something over one feet in length, so maybe find some common item to “repurpose.” A picture frame perhaps?

I need five pieces about 10" long each. It’s purely cosmetic as corner moulding and will sit atop other panels.

Suggest you use the brass pieces that are available and nickel plate them. Looks just like aluminum.

1 Like

I am a bit surprised that aluminum isn’t available at some hobby store someplace. I used to see a selection of aluminum with the brass, although that was years ago.

Have you tried a hobby shop like Beth suggested or a Mom & Pop hardware store?

K&S metals might have what you need
http://www.ksmetals.com/RetailLocations.html

1 Like

Have you consider just using folded cardstock? I have used that for corner stonework on tabletop gaming buildings.

Folded foil from the lid of a takeout container is another option. It’s thin enough to be cut with scissors or a box cutter blade.

1 Like