Seeking Serger instruction/class

Is anyone able/willing to teach how to use the serger (and also how to thread it :slight_smile: ) ?

Also, can anyone tell me what make/model it is? I could post something on the Wiki Tools list if someone can fill me in.

I need to pull it out and look at, I haven’t used my serger in several years, due to no place to use it, Let me see what I can do this week, A college friend of my hubby is coming for a visit mid week so my time is sort of fractured.

I have some sewing I have to do and some of that includes the serger, I will post details on it this week, Maybe we can find an online instruction book for it, I know I used the one that came with mine, If we have interest, I would be willing to lend mine to the site on a long tern loan, I don’t know how well it works now,

I attached several qr codes to the machine which will lead you to a very nice YouTube video detailing how to thread the beast. Brother 1034D is the model

It’s honestly a very easy machine to use compared to the one I used in college for costumes.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m in the process of adding it to the Wiki. 2 questions … is it owned / donated / loaned? And is training required? Thx.

Owned. Training required. The regular server teacher has other things going on so I’m trying to find another to do regular monthly classes. Seeking out teachers is a full time job and usually isn’t very successful for me.

Anyone know a sewer who would be willing to teach monthly serger classes?

1 Like

Thanks. I added the serger to the Wiki tools, and updated the info you just sent. Includes a pic and links to the manual & specifications.

2 Likes

I know someone that we’ve talked about her doing serger classes. She uses them regularly and was showing me threading the other night because I was curious. I’d heard we might need more folks teaching serger and was going to help coordinate (we questioned what else might be needed in serger basics to qualify as training, so was going to talk to sewing SIG and see). Anyway, I can move a little stronger on this and see what we need

That sounds promising. I will keep my fingers crossed.

1 Like

Ok, so I’ve been talking to some folks and the takeaway is that we’re going to have a Sewing SIG (special interest group) meeting before my Spinning/Fiberarts class next Tuesday.

I just submitted it to the event calendar for Tues Aug 9, 6-6:30.

I’m seeing priority as planning classes to teach basics for Training Required machines (including serger!) and then some special topic classes, and facilitating more teachers.

Anyone is welcome to come to give input/requests, and especially if you have something you could teach but maybe need help with the process, logistics, planning, etc.

1 Like

Would anyone be willing to show me how to use the serger in CA? There is no rush :slight_smile:

I own a sewing machine but I’ve no idea how to operate a serger and my upcoming projects will require me to use the “beast”.

Thanks!

If someone wants to set up a serger class, I’m in. Sounds like @FrenchFrog would be also. That’s two out of three …

1 Like

Paging @Kriskat30
Here’s a couple folks interested in serger

1 Like

I’m also interested! Though I’ve never used a sewing machine I plan to research a bit more before learning so I have some more background knowledge

1 Like

Class scheduled for January 30 (Tuesday) at 7pm in the Purple classroom.

It should show up on the calendar this Monday evening.

7 Likes

It’s live on the calendar at this link:

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/5015

I signed up! @FrenchFrog @mlamb2011

1 Like

me too! See you next week :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I was able to sign up.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Opening in Serger class, tonight 1/30