Seeking Kid-friendly activities DFW

The kiddos will be coming to visit next summer (ages 5.5, 7, and 8.5). Looking for any suggestions about kid-friendly things to do anywhere in the DFW area.

2 Likes

Fort Worth museum science & history, Perot in Dallas, Nickelmania, Fort Worth Zoo. That’s just a start. I’ll think of a few more, & let you know.

6 Likes

Dallas zoo is nice too, if it’s hot maybe ice skating, lol, I think there is one in the galleria for example.

1 Like

Tons of fun things

• Museums: Perot Museum [really good], Ft Worth Science & History Museum, Heard Natural Science Museum
  • Zoos: Dallas Zoo, Fort Worth Zoo, Dallas Aquarium, Sea Life [Grapevine]
  • Parks: Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor, Hawian Falls, Lego Land, Great Wolf Lodge
  • Any city pool or park
  • Dinosaur Valley State Park [Glen Rose] - Hunt for dinosaur tracks and play in the [very kid-friendly] river, good day trip
  • Cedar Ridge Preserve - Good place to go “hiking” in the woods
  • Firework Shows every Friday at Grapevine Lake
  • Take a train trip to the Ft Worth Stockyards [Grapevine Vintage Railroad Prices & Train Schedules] or just walk around the stockyards [they have a “cattle drive” twice a day]
  • Texas Rangers Game or Frisco Rough Riders Game
  • Put on a “Kid’s Summer Camp” class[es] at DMS
  • Bowling / Climbing / Arcades / Movies
  • Most cities have themed “Summer Camps” for youth that last anywhere from 1Hr to full days
  • UTD Coding for Kids [https://k12.utdallas.edu/] has a good program for any young programmers
5 Likes

Depends on the “kids” but I like to plug the Museum of the American Railroad in Frisco

They’ve got a Big Boy and tons (literally!) of other fun stuff. Indoors they have the Traintopia, which everyone should get to drool over once…

4 Likes

Duh. I didn’t even think of that. I live in Plano and we have some great city pools.

1 Like

@uglyknees … Is the Dinosaur Company tour suitable for kids this young?

1 Like

Muehlenbeck has a pretty good pool/lazy river and slides.

2 Likes

Mesquite Rodeo.
Riverwalk + Alamo in San Antonio if you/they don’t mind the drive and (likely) overnight stay. The Alamo basement is best part.

edit: despite the intro screen on their website proclaiming “TICKETS ON SALE NOW!”, they seem to be closed until next summer.

3 Likes

BAHAHA!
I totally read MosquitOH Rodeo…
I was like WHAAA?!?
How have I never heard of this??!??!
Better go find my :eyeglasses:

5 Likes

I don’t know if they will be open, but it may be worth checking:

Also, there are increasing numbers of escape rooms in the area. Some are “family friendly.”

1 Like

The National Videogame Museum in Frisco is in the building right next to the train museum. Cool place to check out and spend a few hours. Lots of old computers and console systems that are playable. Also had a retro arcade room.

3 Likes

The Frontiers of Flight Museum (by Love Field) holds their Moon Day event every July:

https://www.flightmuseum.com/moon-day/

3 Likes

Kidzania in Frisco

1 Like

Founders Plaza at DFW airport. The website says until 7 PM but I think it’s 24/7 now. The sign with hours is gone now and the gate is always open.

2 Likes

The Dallas Arboretum is also very nice, and they have a kid specific area set up.

3 Likes

Yes. Dinosaur tour at Billings is a wonderful tour for the littles.

When my little was little we explored lots of city options to keep the interests diverse and the costs minimal. My kid would rock a splash pad for hours.

I subscribed to a weekly local family magazine and it gave me all sorts of options.

He was also really into trampoline parks. That was always a good time.

2 Likes

I am always a big fan of the Dallas World Aquarium. It’s like part aquarium, part zoo, and all very very cool

3 Likes

This is a fantastically fun place to be. I second this.

1 Like

There is this. You may want to call to see whether “spectating” others in the higher levels is possible.

1 Like