Secure Lockers for Testing Certification Site

I’m not certain
@denzuko perhaps you can address this better

1 Like

For what? :blankspace: :blankspace:

2 Likes

Examples of from existing testing centers:

Now these examples are from the mid-to-large scale for profit centers and we’re targeting a small subset as benefit to our membership and the community. So we should be able to get away with a few less lockers like say a one row three compartment locker and two rows three compartment.

As for how many times a year; I’d expect at lease four a quarter but no more than ten a month going on previous turn out on CTF events and prep courses held.

1 Like

I quote from an earlier state of the committee post:

Reached out to Pearson VUE to partner with them for providing onsite certification testing for CompTIA Linux+, Server+, Project+, and Security+ certifications.

1 Like

Oh? How do we propose to administer this program at the top level and proctor the tests at the ground level?

For short term storage, airport-style pay lockers are an option here - put X quarters into the locker, take the key, then upon re-insertion the key is held captive. No per-transaction administration required, however someone might have trouble on occasion and need real-time assistance.

Not necessarily a bad plan for the small paid storage option that we’re proposing, but one suspects that there are cheaper options out there than ULINE.

1 Like

The problem DMS will have with pay-per-use lockers is I would guess the only people that would use them are the folks coming in for testing … we are a notoriously frugal bunch. The rest of the time these would have very little use for expensive lockers and floor space being tied up.

Curious, do the people that administer the test get paid for this? If so, why would we be bearing all of their costs for test site compliance? I have no problem with utilization of DMS facilities for this testing at no cost but what other costs are there besides having lockers and dedicated coat rack (how many of each?). How do they handle their other sites?

1 Like

Paid (I presume) proctor/front desk staff (usually the same person).
Usually keys are handed out to the tester; it’s the ONLY thing you’re allowed to carry on your walk into the testing room. You check in; get key; lock stuff, take key into test with you; complete test; cleared by proctor; use key to retrieve stuff from locker; return key to proctor who furnishes your “test complete” paperwork.
I see this need as completely separate from the “paid storage” discussion.
I also see this not working so well in our environment, because I think test centers need dedicated spaces for these things (e.g. can’t really have “John Q Member; Metal Shop User” decide to use one of the lockers, installing his own lock, and leaving the proctor to rustle up the bolt cutters to snip that lock off before the appointments for today’s tests begin).
But I think it’s a neat idea, and would love to be proven wrong by Dwight and Draco (sorry, can’t recall real name @ present) and the VCC committee.

2 Likes

Regarding the airport style system, we could set it up to use Tokens and just have a bin of them they fall back out to; not paying, but can use a more readily implemented locker type. Whenever something better comes along i.e. RFID, or computer controlled, then remove the coin mechanisms.

1 Like

If there’s a token system involved then its just a small relay switch and that’s easy to bypass then install an rfid reader with a rpi hooked up so it talks to our active directory.

Otherwise we can borrow the design from 3d Fab’s locker system and use that.

the bolt cutters to snip that lock off before the appointments for today’s tests begin).

I have a feeling it would end up being a call from someone in logistics or infrastructure to have myself come in and pick the lock. Luckily, I like locksport.

But yes, your right it would have to be a dedicated set of lockers about the same amount of space that’s used for Digital Media’s lockers, one coat rack, and a dedicated exam area doing scheduled testing where the computers need to be stored on lock down to prevent tampering when not in use or within the same exam room.

1 Like

people that administer the test get paid for this

The administered testes are preformed by members that are within the VCC instructor pool.

Given this is something that the space wishes to see go forward; vcc will finish drafting up a budget for the instructors and regular class schedule.

Though, currently this is still under the original program structure with committee members and volunteers that have prior certification training may train others that signup on the calendar for classes.

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Pearson vue Exams

And if y’all insist on doing this and lockers are involved, use this kind of lock please.
People set their own combination and lock their stuff
The master key opens them if they forget the code or leave their stuff.
No batteries
No technology
Could build our own lockers and install these in the doors

2 Likes

Keyless is even a local business…

Claim to be ~$85 a pop…
https://www.keyless.co/keyless1/

maybe they’d sell us some returns, factory seconds, or just donate a few?

They’re not actually required:

Provide lockers or other suitable storage for personal belongings, such as a lockable file cabinet, closet or backpacks with locks.

This thread is bikeshedding in the face of larger issues.

1 Like

ahh… Berkley, the original herder of cats. Got to love the OS they championed.

Etherway, the type of lock does not matter since a simple $5 masterlock does the job well enough. If the key comes up missing then VCC’s chair can always replace it without issue or just pick the lock and repin it himself. Or just use the machine shop to key a new blank.

Sure RFID would be nice but that’s well opening doors for from members looking to store projects and is counter to the goal.

IMHO a couple of Wall mounted locking cabinets and companion cabinet drawer can suffice depending on needs.

and yes we can blame the din rail rpi server project, museum’s vertical design and personal data center experience on the emphise for modular systems

As a side topic; I’m actually thinking of picking up a few of the 6U units for Infrastructure to place in the server room and clean up the storage situation in there.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Serverroom Storage

If the goal is to conduct CompTIA certification testing then why is the discussion focused on lockers? Seems to me like there are much more important factors to consider for this to be successful (assuming the community even wants it).

3 Likes

It really should be merged with