Search Terms for DMS

I got in a discussion last night after the tours. One of the lobby questions is “How did you get here?” Two most common answers were friends or Google.

That brought up the question of what we have posted as search criteria for DMS.

Anybody have this in their wheelhouse?

At the very least it needs to be reviewed. Possibly tuned up.

2 Likes

Using Google Analytics is helpful for such things. Are we?

While I am certainly no expert on such things I did {somehow} manage to get an open source project of mine to be the first three hits on the first page without spending a dime. Google Analytics made a difference in these ways…

• Synonyms. Google Search does an OK job at identifying and using synonyms. But actually having synonyms included in the content / meta-tags seemed to help.

• Misspellings. Google Search also does an OK job at identifying and using misspellings. But… see above.

• Combinations. People often used combinations of words in their search that just did not occur to me.

• Locations. I was amazed at the depth and breadth of the world audience. For example: did you know people from Scandinavian countries visiting Texas make a point of going to a gun range? Apparently, being able to shoot Dirty Harry’s (generic movie star’s) gun is difficult to do in such places. With some analytics we would be able to answer the all important question: Do visitors from Belarus love makerspaces? And, if they do, why don’t we have an about page written in Belarusian?

• Links. This is still important with Google Search. (Age has been added. New links are valued more than old.) What links to the DMS website? What keywords might get someone to that site? Can those same keywords get people directly to our site skipping the intermediary?

The answer is yes. Yes we are.

Open to elaboration, but good info, regardless…