SCUBA interest?

Okay, so I didn’t see a lot of enthusiasm for a scuba SIG, but the submarine, underwater ROV, submersible gadget idea seems like a lot of fun. Do you think anyone might get onboard for a “underwater SIG” group that could do stuff like work on submersible metal detectors and ROV’s? That might draw interest from people that don’t scuba but like R/C and electronics.

I’m in…I need some positive peer pressure to get going with a wild hair interest. I have a (very very small) pool if anyone wants to float around.

Sorry, late to party. I’d be intetested in a sig. Could teach a class on identifying common Caribbean fish.
Fair bit of diving experience with different gasses and depths.
Interested in finding others for dive trips.

That’s great! Now I’m puzzling over exactly what to do and when to do it. Probably be in early June before I schedule anything.

1 Like

I’m in for dive trips. Got a great hookup on the Texas clipper down off SPI

I’m considering going out to Clear Springs Scuba Park in Terrell to try out my equipment. Anyone interested? Sometime in the next 2 weeks, but not on Saturday.

1 Like

I know this is an old thread but I finished my open water this weekend and I am a certified diver now. I have all my own equipment with the exception of tanks and a dive computer so if anyone is looking to sell a tank or computer let me know. Otherwise I think it would be awesome if we could get a little diving group together.

2 Likes

I agree and had planned to have a meet to see who was interested but never got it scheduled. Now it’s the last week of August. If you want a dive buddy give me a yell.

1 Like

yes you do have an instructor here at DMS if several people would like to do an intro to scuba just let me know

2 Likes

I am a bit interested I never understood the reason to own your own tank in DFW?

Totally down with this. I also have a small pool in my backyard that we could use if needed.

It’s a numbers game. To rent a tank at dive parks is $13 to $20 depending on the place. To buy a tank is about $160 and the hydro testing is good for 5 years but you have to get a yearly visual inspection. So if you dive about 10 to 15 times in a 5 year period it pays for itself. After 5 years you get the tank recertified for about $25 and it’s good for another 5 years.

Right I get that but does that mean you are driving to every dive location?

I wound up with several steel tanks just because people gave them to me. I liked having them because I didn’t have to depend on a shop being open to go diving if I went somewhere locally. There’s also the possibility that you show up at a shop and find all their rental tanks are out due to some event or something, and then you have to cancel your dive plans.

1 Like

Yeah I live in Forney and the Terrill dive park is 25 mins from my house and Athens is 1 hr. I took my open water at Scuba Toys right next to DMS

1 Like

I live between Terrell and Kaufman. We should go diving