Scroll saw blade change

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the space and am getting the hang of all the tools. I’d like to use the scroll saw but I can’t figure out how to install a blade on the scroll saw. Is there any sort of quick explanation someone could offer or maybe a document that explains it?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2 Likes

I don’t know the specifics, but I think this will help. I found the operator’s manual online and page 13 has detailed instructions.

The main Tools listing on the wiki has a lot of links to user manuals, etc. (including this one) and is a good resource.

3 Likes

If it’s the Makerspace’s Excalibur, then it’s just like the Excalibur I have at home.

Raise the plastic lever located on top of the oscillating arm at the front of the machine,

Then loosen the 2 small top and bottom nuts holding the existing blade. These nuts are located both above and below the scrollsaw table. Remove the old/broken blade.

Thread the new blade through the hole in the table and tighten each nut back down onto each end of the new scrollsaw blade. You have to position each end of the blade between the nut and the small housing where the nuts connects to the housing. Finger tight is all it takes.

Finally, readjust the scrollsaw blade tightness by first flipping the top lever back to it’s ‘rear-facing’ position, and then slowly twist the large knob located at the rear/top of the top arm until you have the desired blade tightness.

Good luck!

Scott

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the help. I’ll give it a shot tomorrow to see if I can figure It out. Fingers crossed.

You’ll need to use an Allen wrench on the bottom side because the thumb screw disappeared.

After tightening the blade, run the saw for 30 seconds. Then, release the top lever, release the top screw, retighten, and flip the lever again. This takes out any stretch in the blade

3 Likes

How tight should it be? I saw a youtube video where someone installed a new blade and plucked it like a guitar string and it made a little ringing sound. Does that sound right?

1 Like

Yes…carefully and slowly twist the large top knob, while flicking the scrollsaw blade. Once it feels taught, and makes a higher pitched ‘ting-ting’ noise when flicked, then it’s good to go.

You’ll know if you’re over-tightening the blade if it breaks fairly quickly. Takes some repetition (and a few broken blades) to know the ‘sweet spot’ on tightening a scrollsaw blade.

If I want to use the scroll saw, I need to get my own blades right?

What kind of blades do they use? The instruction manual calls for unpinned 5” scroll saw blades. Is this good to use? Also, does the machine still work?

You are going to have a real tough time trying to get those pin end blades into the unpinned holder. You might be able to, but I’d bet against it.

What thickness is the wood you plan to cut? That’s going to drive your blade/TPI choice.

This blog from Woodcraft has some good info on scroll saw blades. I’m not necessarily suggesting you buy blades there (although you certainly could), but the descriptions of their blade products tell how specific blades would be used.

Thanks for the info

1 Like

No one side is an Allen key which shouldn’t be touched the other side is the thumb screw cause if you mess with the left side and back it out too far it won’t clap it one work with th facing the machine right side screw

If you use a pair of pliers you can just twist those little pins out they’re just punch fit not welded or attached if someone was so inclined

You’re replying to a four-year-old text. Don’t know what the situation was in 2018 with that scrollsaw.

1 Like

No defiantly responding to a comment made 21 hrs. Ago