Scrap steel needs a home

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Category:Logistics#Member_Exchange_Shelf

Despite this, used vehicle parts are often discarded from the MES. One presumes this is due in part to its proximity to auto, in addition to the possible well-intended ignorant.

Someone left a full dresser by our dumpster outside a few months back. I was forced to use a sledgehammer to blow off some steam. I have no idea how it got there or whether someone intended on fixing it or converting it. Raw materials are always good but used auto parts and outdated broken consumer electronics are the kinds of things we need to keep out. That shelf looks like the electronics section of a goodwill most of the time. You got romance novels, broken blenders, old printers, and the odd pile of phone charging cords from the last 20 years.

1 Like

I have a feeling the dresser you’re talking about may have gotten dumped there by somebody outside makerspace.

I know I have been there pretty late, 3-4am time frame, and have caught non-members a couple of times trying to dump in the dumpsters.

Even had one guy, about 2 years ago, try to offer me $10 to “not see” him dump several gallon buckets of paint in the dumpster over by the blacksmithing trailers.

So that does happen.