Science Spiders need a new home!

There are five adorable little cuddly spiders (ok, maybe not cuddly) that need a new home. You’ve all seen them. They are hairy, they like crickets, they may give you superpowers (unlikely), and they need a good home.
I am hoping to find someone with previous exotic pet experience or someone that currently has tarantulas. We do want what is best for the little guys/girls, so the new owner(s) will be vetted. Please contact me if you are interested so we can discuss.

2 Likes

They are Roger’s is he giving them away?

We attempted to contact Roger by phone, text and email and he did not respond so they are now abandoned property, unfortunately.

1 Like

Do you want me to contact him on Facebook?

By all means, we even asked Kris to contact him as well. We really did try to reunite them. If he doesnt respond quickly we will continue to look for a new owner because we have been trying for over a month now.

3 Likes

He responded on Facebook.

1 Like

looks like Kris is handling it.

1 Like

@Kriskat30 please let me know when the new owner will be taking the spiders.

2 Likes

Is there a reason we cant keep them at the space?

Several, actually. First, we do have a no pets policy. Second, my understanding was it was supposed to be a temporary solution for a member that was in the hospital.

But the reason we actually moved on it was based on two things. First, I have witnessed people react badly to them on tours and even received a complaint about them. Some people have an actual phobia of spiders.
Second, some of our members think it is funny to leave their molted shells all around, leading some people to think the actual spiders are loose. It is time for them to move on.

2 Likes

Working on it! I want to thank @Team_Science for hosting these amazing creatures. I’m sorry that a couple of people who have phobias have been bothered. Hopefully we don’t run the space by catering to unreasonable fears as a rule. For those who care about the people involved, Roger Valles has survived 3 near death hospital stays and is slowly getting better. He’s still in a wheelchair and unable to care for the tarantulas. I have a few leads for relocating them, thank you for your patience as this is a process. I have let several directors know this as well. @Edenblue if you would like information about anything prior to your term, please feel free to ask me as I’m always happy to help. Saves a lot of misinformation and confusion!

4 Likes

Glad to hear Roger’s health is starting to improve.

3 Likes

Glad to host the Arachnids. Since they are being moved along, I’m wondering if they all are being adopted, or can we keep one of them, as a mascot–not a pet?

The small black one on the top shelf is no normal spider–she is legend. I’ve thrown a cricket into her lair, and it never hit the ground! She is an escape artist, cricket killer, and generally bad actor. She embodies the spirit of the Science Dept!

4 Likes

We will not be keeping any of them at the space. Changing the label doesn’t change the fact that we should not be hosting live animals of any species. As a volunteer organization with turnover, we cannot guarantee animals would always be cared for.

1 Like