Schematic/PCB/KiCAD Class interest?

Any interest in a class in:

schematic reading or creation
PCB design and Layout
KiCAD
or help session on KiCAD

I could do any of all of these. Seems like a while since anything was offered. I’m not sure if it’s lack of interest or availability.

Oz (in DFW - N1OZ)

3 Likes

I taught the last one, the feedback I got from the students was:

• Wow, that was a lot to learn in one session
  • That is a lot harder than I thought it would be
  • Couldn’t we just buy a dev board instead?
  • Why not (my favorite EDA tool) instead?

I think if I taught a class again it would be multiple sessions and I would want to have a specific useful something to be designed during the class. Last time I made the relay module that we used for the RFID interlock in the Machine Shop Shark lathe and it was really nice to show the students hey here’s something DMS “needs” and we’re going to make it together as a group.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions about the class, and if you teach one I’d probably be interested in taking it just to see the differences in the way we use kicad.

1 Like

YES.

I have trouble with getting all the power and grounds connected in the schematic layout in KiCAD. It looks connected then errors.

Then need help in routing traces…

I have a Eurorack module I designed that I need to get a PCB layout for.

Sounds like maybe something more like ‘office hours’ might be helpful.

2 Likes

I was in the @malcolmputer class. He did an excellent job of covering the application but I agree with his comments above. My interest would be in the simplest free application.

My current dream pcb project would be to mount an RPi Pico W, an H-bridge like a TB6612, connection points for a PS2 controller receiver and provision for a few three or four pin female headers for servo, distance sensor, LCD display,… Hopefully, that would be reasonable for a two layer board. Am I hoping for tooooo much?

1 Like

I would recommend against the simplest free application because they’re always changing as companies find a way to make money off the free application and the time you spend to learn to use it isn’t free. Perfect example, if we’d have done that class on the simplest free application at the time it would have changed 3 times since then, and 2 of the 3 are no longer available, no longer import designs from that version, or are no longer free.

sounds reasonable to me, as long as you’re not trying to fit it into too small of a board area

1 Like

I would be interested in anything related to schematics, PCB Layout, KiCAD, etc. for a project of mine. Does anyone have any up-to-date information on the PCB Mill? I read somewhere that there’s one at DMS.

@artg_dms would know more.
Last I heard the PCb mill is like 90% functional or something, but needs some love.

I’d like to get a better understanding of you need and background so I can respond more effectively. Next office hours is the 14th, but I currently plan to be in on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday for classes at 6 or 7 PM. I usually show up a few hours before classes to work on other stuff, so I’ll probably be in after 4 PM or so. I can probably do some coaching in lieu of a class before we actually schedule something.

I need to develop a better understanding of the audience, but there’s no reason to wait for that to happen. I’m happy to do some one-on-one.

My project is to build a custom Video Game controller with an Arduino Pro Micro. I’m interested in learning how to design a custom PCB for it for 3 reasons:

1. I believe that a Custom PCB will make assembly easier.

2. Said Custom PCB will allow the Arduino and the MCP23017 I/O Expander chip to slot in instead of having to have wires soldered directly to their pins. The ability to swap out components in the event of any issue could be beneficial.

3. It just seems like the proper way to complete the project. My previous attempt was a shoddy rat’s nest that failed. Fortunately I gave up before I started soldering wires directly to the Arduino.

This is my first Electronics project ever. I know it’s probably not a great choice, but I read and studied as much as I could to prepare for it. I did manage to solder header pins to another Arduino Pro Micro, so I could use it on a breadboard to prototype the “final” circuit. I had a lot of trouble soldering wires to the pins of those little 6x6mm momentary push-button switches, though. That, and the fiddly jankiness of my 3D-Printed components convinced me to give up on it last year. I want to attempt it again, this time with a solid foundation.

Seems reasonable. Do you already know how to read schematics?

I suggest that you:

1. collect the datasheets for the parts you intend to use. Including the Arduino pinout and mechanical outline.
  2. configure a laptop with KiCad if you have one.
  3. come to office hours on March 14th, or agree a time Tues-Wed this week when i’m otherwise around.
  4. start a schematic if you can

I only have a company laptop, I don’t think I’ll be installing KiCad on it. I was hoping I would be able to use a workstation at DMS, but if that doesn’t work out, I could just install KiCad on my Desktop and hit YouTube Tutorials, as per usual. I’ve heard that KiCad plays nicely with FreeCAD, so the prospect of generating an exportable 3D Model of the board would greatly help my redesign of the controller’s shell.

I want to introduce myself to you in person, as soon as possible. I’m thinking I’ll come tomorrow, if you’ll be at DMS. Additionally, I’ll probably attend Office Hours on the 14th (and likely have more ideas/items prepared for that occasion). As for tomorrow, I’ll at least print out the datasheets for the Arduino Pro Micro and the MCP23017 chip.

I’ve been hoping that the PCB Mill could be made ready in time for my project, but recent posts I’ve seen on Talk are not reassuring in that regard. If nothing else, I could simply submit my own files to a PCB Prototyping Service (with a strong preference for Made in the USA). I’m sure you could give me some solid recommendations.

I could also show you pictures of the project, and even bring in a couple of failed 3D Prints I saved to demonstrate some of the issues with assembly I encountered last October (if you’re interested). It probably doesn’t help that I designed these parts in Blender, but to be fair, the parts did fit together!

If a DMS workstation is not available, I have a laptop we can use at DMS. Bring your files on a USB stick.

As far as the PCB mill goes, Oshpark (USA) and JLPCB (China) are attractive alternatives IMHO. If you use surface mount parts look at Oshstencils.

I should be at DMS tomorrow after 4 or so, I believe you have my mobile number.

Ok, thank you! I don’t have any KiCad or Circuit Designs of any kind so far. I do have a laughably basic hand-drawn diagram meant more as a guide to soldering the circuit together than as an actual diagram, I’ll need to find it…

Having talked to a few potential students, I’m seeing some interest, but not a lot of common background and few specific common interests. I wonder if the right approach isn’t a series of short (30 min, certainly under an hour) courses that can be offered fairly regularly to small groups (<6) close to on demand, like:

• Basics of reading and writing schematics (lecture)
  • Kicad Schematic and part creation (lab class)
  • Basics of printed circuit board design and assembly - 2 and 4 layer, SMD and through hole (lecture)
  • Beginning Soldering (lab class) - how to make a reliable post wrap, terminal strip, and through-hole lead joint, Lead-free vs leaded, flux use and type and a demo hot-air SMD rework
  • SMD reflow - lab class using canned design, solder stencils, e-lab oven (lab class - would have materials fee) discuss and demo hot-air rework
  • KiCAD footprint creation (lab class)
  • PCB layout Fundamentals (lecture)
  • KiCAD PCB layout (lab class, probably more of a help session than anything else.)

Probably too gran a plan, but I’m just spitballing here.

2 Likes

I’d be interested in the 2nd one down, the 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th & 8th. Heck, I’ll take all of them…

2 Likes

I would be interested in all of those! SMD Reflow isn’t necessarily relevant to my project (I’d most likely stick to a through-hole design)

Also, apparently KiCad 7 is the most recent release, as of February 2023…

1 Like

I would like to see a beginner level KiCad class where everyone would design a simple two layer PCB using simple procedures. It would be nice to have a popular low pin-count microcontroller. I like the Wemos D1 Mini ESP8266 with 16 pins. Avoid libraries as much as possible and plan to use female headers to mount the microcontroller. An LED and resistor would be nice with very few other components. Provide for a couple of headers for I2C devices. A few solder pads would be good. Let’s not get into details of path width and optimized routing. We could look that up later or have a more advanced class.

I would likely forget the details by the time I could try it at home but slides with a 1,2,3 list of operations would be great. If I don’t remember the details of how to do an operation, I would know the name of it and could go to Google.

1 Like

I recently (last few weeks) learned KiCAD schematic and PCB by following the “getting_started_in_kicad” tutorial in KiCAD 7.0, then sent it to OSHPark for fab. I’ll find out if it works in another week or so. I’m interested in learning better soldering skills, SMD reflow, and whatever else they left out of the tutorial that I need to know!

1 Like