[Community Feedback] Scheduling the first retrocomputing meetup of 2018

Hi All,

It’s time to schedule the first retrocomputing meetup of 2018 (North Dallas Area Retrocomputing Meetup Group).

A March date would be ideal, but spring break, etc. may make that difficult. A March or April meetup would keep us on track for 3-4 meetups per year. Are there any dates that would be a clear conflict?

As before we will shoot for a Saturday afternoon, 3-6pm.

Also, if anyone is on the Facebook group, could you post there for feedback as well?

Cheers,

Dave

1 Like

Also, if anyone is on the Facebook group, could you post there for feedback as well?

@Team_PR think we could fulfill this request?

April usually is best and would give me time to wrap up a demoscene app and bring in one of the Vintage PCs for everyone to play around with at the meetup.

I asked the Facebook group just now and will aggregate the responses. As for me, 3/16-3/18 is out due to Texas Pinball Festival. Late April could get dicey if I end up having to travel, but that would be more likely during the week. The Hurst RetroTech show is coming up on 3/10 and it might be fun to do something in conjunction with that.

1 Like

I have a standing commitment somewhere else the first Saturday of the month. The third Saturday is iffy, weather depending.

It looks like the most conflict-free option at the moment is March 30 , 3-6pm with 30 minutes extra on either end for setup and breakdown.

That would allow a 2 month runway for folks to be available and tune up creaky gear.

Comments?

2 Likes

works for me. it gives my some time to build the usb punch hole tape reader and a retro case for the raspberry pi to go with it.

The meetup has been scheduled for Saturday, March 31, from 3:00-6:00 pm, in the interactive classroom. I’ve requested 30 minutes before and after for setup/breakdown so you can arrive at 2:30 to set up your gear and be good to go by 3.

Bring your vintage computer gear for show and tell, or just come to browse and geek out with other retrocomputing nerds.

Please spread the word. Can someone post on the facebook group?

Please RSVP either on this list, on the calendar, or the meetup group, so I can know how much pizza to order!!

See you there!

Dave

1 Like

@dave

Uh, Houston, we have a problem. It is Friday, March 30 on the calendar: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/5083

1 Like

Looks like Meetup has it for the 31. I’m guessing @dave was meaning for Saturday. If we need to I can get on the calendar guys to fix it up.

Oops :-/

Yes, please help me reschedule it for 3/31!!

Many thanks,

Dave

Looks like Steam Roller Printing is scheduled for 12-5pm, but not yet on the calendar. Perhaps we can work something out? Or, make the meeting 5-8pm?

I went ahead and scheduled for 5pm-8pm. I didn’t want to lose that spot.

@denzuko: Can you check the status of the steam roller printing event? It’s not on the schedule, but is still blocking off the 12-5pm time slot. Is the event really happening? If there’s still a way to secure 3-6pm, that would be best. Many thanks!

You can ask, but I do not think he will budge.

Either use the evening or reschedule.

The consensus seems to be that the later time (5-8) is inconvenient for many, and the standard time slot of 3-6 works best. Since 4/14 is taken by DPRG from 12-4, that leaves 4/21 as the best overall compromise for the re-schedule. I’ve requested the slot. Once it shows up on the calendar, I’ll cancel and reschedule the meetup for 4/21.

Sorry for that folks!

1 Like

It happens, I’ve been having trouble myself finding time for scheduling things at the space as of late. I’m hoping we’re able to get extra space sometime soon so more classes and events could be scheduled without conflicts.

The bright side is that If we’re not expecting a lot of people then the VCC area is open for use by members that wish to hold events like these or related subjects in those ever popular videos on youtube.

Unfortunate choice.

That is in direct conflict with the annual DMS picnic…

Weighing all the feedback, there is no ideal choice, but the best option is to keep the 3/31/18 date, 5-8pm. If some people miss because the evening time slot is inconvenient, mea culpa. I will make sure to get the 3-6 time slot for the next event.

2 Likes