SC300 Steering rack

I have a critical leak of power steering fluid in my 1999 Lexus SC300. The leak is coming from the driver’s side but haven’t been able to 100% determine where it’s coming from. The rack boot on the driver’s side is shredded however. Anyone have any advice while I look into repairing or replacing the steering rack?

Do as much research as possible and fully understand what you’re getting into. On most cars the steering rack is difficult to replace.

I’d suggest buying some compatible dye from o’reilly auto parts and put that in your power steering reservoir and look for the actual source of the leak before jumping to a time consuming / more expensive repair.

a rack boot is relatively easy & will require an alignment afterwards).

4 Likes

And just to clarify, a torn boot is not a direct cause of a rack leak, as they don’t seal fluid in, only dirt and water out. But if it has been open too long, the grime that gets in can lead to damage to seals and the bore, leading to leaks.

So far, I have had a few PS hose leaks, and zero rack leaks. So yeah, figuring out where your leak is would be a good idea before starting in my book.

3 Likes