Sawmill Looking For Suggestions On How To Serve DMS

Absolutely. I did a demo for the North Texas Woodworkers Association a little over a year ago. I’d be happy to do another. I’ll set a date once things are opened back up.

4 Likes

That would be awesome! I would sign up for sure! Here are some pictures I found of when I did it that 1st time.

1 Like

That mill is a lot more advanced than mine.

My kiln is a little bigger and is portable but is based on the same Virginia Tech design.

1 Like

How do you charge for time in the Kiln, say a 4x8 slab?

Steve

1 Like

$0.50/bdft, so it would depend on thickness. 4x8x2" is 64 bdft, so $32.

2 Likes

$32 for how long?

Per his example that would be a 4ft x 8 ft x 2 inch slab.

2 Likes

I understand the dimensions, what I was not clear on was the the price for that size. Some wood will need to stay in the kiln for 1 month and others might take four months (or more) to reach the desired moisture content. With this in mind, most kilns charge by the cubic foot per month. Just wondering if this is what to expect.

Steve

1 Like

Ah, my misunderstanding, I thought you meant board length not duration of kiln time. I had no idea some pieces took that long to dry.

1 Like

Right now I’m charging $0.50/bdft until it has reached target MC. This works fine for me for including one or two customer slabs in with the loads that I am drying.

If you want to dry a full load then I’ll have to evaluate putting a time scale on it.

Do you have 4x8 slabs you are looking to dry in a species that you’d expect to take 4 months, or is this just hypothetical?

1 Like

Sorry, I can see how my message was misconstrued.

1 Like

Yes, I have had 2 slabs from Honduras being dried for 4 months and I am looking to have some more sent in to the US.

Steve

Ok, let me look into it. What species?

I was not expecting requests for massive exotics. :grin:

If you want someone to go in on a shipment with you to reduce shipping I’d be interested in a few slabs as well. Would also help pay for drying if we get closer to a full load.

yeah, id be in in that too

Will do, I am finishing these two and see how they sell.

Steve

I had @Lloyd_Plum cut a stump into cookies yesterday. He’s got a nice setup and his rate was super affordable.

If we gave reviews here I’d say 5 star!

2 Likes

Walnut is excellent smoking wood for brisket… I’d definitely take a few scraps or chips. Any fruit wood (cherry, pecan, apple, pear) is also good.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing how those turn out.

I bought a huge walnut turning blank from Lloyd a few years ago. He is a great guy to do business with. Lets support our local business men and women. Wouldn’t you rather have a dining table that once had a little girls swing hanging from it rather than coming from a clear cut hillside halfway across the country.

4 Likes