Saw Stop Fired While Using Dado Set

I set the Sawstop off today while using a dado set. To best of my (and @Mrksls2’s) knowledge/memory, this is the first time that type of S/S event has occurred here. It was a personal dado set (ouch!), but a new brake is needed…of course, I’ll make good on it, but I’m not sure if we have a spare or not?

I’ll send the dead brake to S/S to have them check to see what caused it to fire…maybe they’ll have mercy and send a free one :–) For now, if anyone needs to make any dado cuts with the table saw, use the Powermatic. That may be good advice in general, actually…this firing was: 1) completely uncalled for; and 2) really f-ing expensive.

Aside, the DMS owned dado stack seemed really dull when I checked it (it was why I used a different set). And dull == dangerous. Just FYI, @Team_Woodshop.

NB: @IanLee, you should probably get yourself added to the team woodshop list; @prl2018 is the current list owner and can do this for you.

7 Likes

@mblatz thanks for reporting. I’ll check in on the dado stack.

(Unless something has changed) Dado sets cannot be used on our saw stop. The saw stop requires a special brake for the mass/ momentum of a dado set. We don’t carry or want members changing the brake to a dado brake and back. Easier to set a blanket rule.

Dado sets can only be used on the powermatic. This //should// be covered in woodshop basics.

There are 3 saw stop brakes in the cabinet. I’ll try to replace it tonight.

3 Likes

For a (short?) while there was a policy that dado cuts not be done on S/S…I believe this was because it involves changing out the brake and putting regular one back in and…you know…DMS woodshop users.

But somewhere along the way we started proving the brakes for it…I am agnostic on whether the policy needs revisiting. As long as people make good on fired brakes and damaged blades…meh :-/

3 Likes

Was this the space’s dado set? I seem to recall a dado set in a box that had the proper dado cartridge for the sawstop with it.

From a machine design standpoint, it’s interesting to me that the dado stack triggered it to fire. I wonder if the machine has a mass or inertia sensor to make sure it can stop the mass of the blade with the brake currently in the machine.

That’s right…the dull one. Per original post, I’m not sure if there is a spare brake at this point. it’s semi-moot if folks use the Powermatic in the meantime (or going forward)

Good question…I’m not sure. The brake doesn’t look much different from ones for 10" standard blades, at least with regard to material make up.

If I has to guess, I think it might have encountered a wet pocket in the wood…it was Lowes Depot stuff, so probably relatively new, possibly wet. The only thing that make me question that theory is I had just rip cut down the lengths of all of the pieces I was then putting a dado in…two times, in fact, one to square-off and one to make two equal width pieces) , so…?

2 Likes

Weird.

Looks like someone already replaced the cartridge. That said the angulation wheel needs a new key so it’s down for the moment.

@yashsedai just FYI there are 3 more cartridges in the cabinet when I looked this afternoon.

I still feel a little off track, although maybe I am quibbling. Standard dado sets are not same diameter as standard rip and crosscut blades: d-sets are 8" vs regular blade 10" diameter. Hence different brakes required.

Yes, it was noticed in the a.m. while I was there that S/S angle could not be adjusted. Folks were still using it to make typical 90 degree cuts of course. Or maybe they just thought they were 90 degree cuts? :wink:

1 Like

What is the angulation wheel? When I left this afternoon after Marshall had tripped the Sawstop it was running. As far as using a dado stack on the Sawstop, to may knowledge I have never heard that it was forbidden. I have been using my dado stack on the Sawstop for the past two years.

2 Likes

Some sort of (unwritten?) policy was in place for maybe…first year(?)…first two (?)…that we had the S/S. It was generally enforced by just not supplying any brakes :–)

1 Like

For crissake! Don’t tell everyone!!

1 Like

Looks like the wheel was just tightened on with a set screw. I’ll swing by ace and grab a new key shaft in the morning. Machine shop couldn’t find any.

Handwheel is on top of the locked cabinet if someone finds some key stock before then.

3 Likes

:thinking: hmmmmmm

4 Likes

@IanLee I found some key stock. I cut it to size & put it on. Myself, @michaelb & Patrick got it functional again. The reason the key stock in my opinion messed up to begin with is the worm gear seized to the opposing face gear. We got it free & I was able to clean the hardened lube/grease.

I can’t say much about it, but I feel that is should have a dry lube such as graphite to keep the sawdust from accumulating on the wet grease.

9 Likes

Thanks Tim! Figures you would find some after I left!

You guys are great, including @pjolone1

(edited to identify correct “Patrick” involved)

2 Likes

It would be a different Patrick. I’m not sure if he is on Talk or not but he is pretty active in Woodshop

4 Likes

@pjolone1 is the one I think… Also known as Patrick of the cedar chests!

Thanks Tim! Your ability and willingness to MacGyver a solution never fails to impress!

4 Likes

You are right…I jumped to a conclusion. my bad…edited above. I thought the fix occurred later in p.m. after Terrapin Pat had left.