Save the Pot Challenge!

Anita’s amazing teapot suffered greatly in the most recent kiln firing.

The pot has adhered to the firing plate via glaze (glass) and we are looking for a way detach it without destroying the piece. You can come view it in Fired Arts (please be careful with handling and use two hands). Feeling problem solvish? We could use your help!

Thoughts?

2 Likes

1 Like

Because I have no imagination, nor knowledge…

I’m not clear if that shelf’s already dumpster-bound. If so, diamond blades on angle grinder/dremel and trim trim trim…

Oh, and that pot is absolutely gorgeous! So sorry the situation is so sticky!

6 Likes

I wonder if the right acid carefully placed could eat either metal or glaze until it frees, bet it wouldn’t take much, then neutralize…it’d be gentle to the pot and might not be very noticeable afterwards

(The recent metal etching class got me thinking, plus I know there’s ways to etch glass too, different chemicals of course. And if it’s metal that might sacrifice the support, but…)

Beautiful pot.

3 Likes

Dremel with a diamond bit to cut through what you don’t want to keep.

3 Likes

Wire saw?

4 Likes

The glaze on that pot is amazing. I hope that someone can save it. Please be careful though, I cut myself pretty badly on glaze that ran.

3 Likes

Thanks, it was over fired, this caused a glaze melt down. It was suppose to be purple.

2 Likes

We don’t need to talk about how many times this has happened to student work :laughing:…so ultimately it comes down to if you’re willing to sacrifice the stilts whether it can be fixed since the only other alternative to saving the pot AND the stilt is to fire to a fusing to liquefy the glass and use tongs to pull it off and into another kiln for annealing.

I know it was an accident…but just FYI when using new glazes or unknown combos I tend to put it on a biscuit instead of a stilt that can be kiln washed so it doesn’t stick and any runs can be ground off.

1 Like

This was unfortunately all my fault with a kiln mis-programming. The pot would have never run this much if it hadn’t overfired.

Your point is very good though, I have several glaze trays for when I fire something new, I’ll give them a few coats of kiln wash to double up on protection.

1 Like

This is my test color on a speckle buff clay body, The over firing changed it to a beige color .

I’m really surprised more manganese speckles are not visible on the beige

Raspberry dip and White dip glaze

6 Likes

Good Morning MrsMoose

My personal bed of nails was kiln washed, this was not a glazing error. I ran a glaze test and found the perfect glaze (listed below). A firing error was made on the community kiln that caused the whole load to be exposed to a high temp over an extended amount of time causing a glaze melt down and color change.

BUT, your above message had good info! I am wondering if a Raku firing, pull out and tap, may free the pot from the bed of nails? Raku is low fire, this is High fire glaze. The idea makes me think HUM???

1 Like

Hmmm, I think this looks pretty cool like this. Maybe round off the edges of the base. No longer functional but it makes an interesting art piece. Wabi sabi is a school of thought that embraces “mistakes.” I subscribe to this thinking both because I find it interesting and because I jack up a lot of projects.

2 Likes

I love the wabi-sabi Ryan! thank you for sending that.

I also make my share of mistakes, sometimes often :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

My tea pots I consider Art, they are very rarely functional, I fuss over them for weeks. This is my current obsession, still needs a few more tweaks. I doubt it will ever hold tea.

9 Likes

I love how you keep the past mis-steppers juuuust in the line of site of the new-boots. Helps keep 'em in line…
:wink:

3 Likes

Glass goes molten around 1450. Slump around 1250…depending on how hard it’s undercut will decide how hard you gotta go to save it. Once it’s free you can refire with a new coat of color. @cmcooper0 things go out on kilns. Usually when it’s the most important that they don’t! I had a gold seal (read amazeballs) piece and during that one and only “please dear baby jesus let this thing survive” firing of the year the relay died on us, it ramped to high, and blew the side of the face off.

Glaze is pretty :slight_smile: I don’t think anyone did something particularly wrong here. Just the Kiln gods time to rage it seems! I sacrificed a cracker to my kiln god in this last load just to be safe

Mad props. I suck way too much at wheels for such a form unless I extruded a cylinder lol

While I don’t wish a kiln failure ever, it would’ve been less horrible all around if that had been the case, this was a mis-programming. My instructor always said that this will eventually happen, you’ll botch a firing or you’ll break someone’s piece in handling and you’ll feel wretched about it it but to remember that you screwed up and feel bad, but someone else lost work. I’m changing my firing process to have a second safety check in place for the future.

4 Likes

Hey, I wanted to try my hand at pottery. Was wondering what the requirements are to get started.

Thank you,
Channa

None of the pottery tools require training to use (slab roller, wheels or hand tools) but if you have no experience in clay I would highly recommend taking a class or sitting down with someone to go over the basics as it will very likely greatly increase your success rate. There will be new classes hitting the calendar in January and I am more than happy to meet up with you to help you get started.

I’ll be up at the space Thursday evening or if that isn’t good for you, send me a message and we can work something out!