Sandblasting media

Ive ordered a 1/8 sieve that I should receive monday, Ill bring in.

2 Likes

Any quotes on this yet?

Forgive me for sounding picky, but that looks incredibly baby powder fine.
Like maybe it was recycled a few times? Thatā€™s probably going to take
forever to strip anything.

My favorite thing about this thread so far is that dry air is ā€œoptionalā€

http://clemtex.com/products/blasting

I have no idea what that media is, but ā€œsoda blastingā€, though not for ā€œstrippingā€, per se, uses regular old baking soda (just like in the Arm&Hammer box). Here is what it looks like new.

from here

Just saying that depending on what someone was needing, blasting media can come in lots of ā€œgritsā€ā€¦

Dry air is not optional; upgrading the current drying systems is (maybe) optional. There is already a trash accumulator on the line with a water drain on it at the point the hard line turns into a rubber hose (I checked last time this came up; itā€™s there). There is also the system dryer at the compressor, so itā€™s not like an effort is not being made. However, there is still speculation that trash/wetness is causing problems, so upgrading the point-of-use dryer might be a good idea.

Feel free to get a quote on a inline desiccant filter that could be used directly before the sand blaster.

1 Like

I just put 4 50# bags of media next to the blaster (silica free). Go nuts.

Your face the first time I suggested installing a Passive Dryer. You wonā€™t like it 'cause itā€™s not a quote.

Also, my sandblaster runs fine with the inline filter I already posted, but thatā€™d just be a stop-gap for you guys.

Alternative buildsā€¦Radiator

Water-cooled

The Franzinator

The price for the model he listed is shown as $6,250

@Robert_Davidson
@Nick

April,

Forgive me for sounding picky, but that looks incredibly baby powder fine. Like maybe it was recycled a few times?

Hey, I SAID it was cursedā€¦

Thatā€™s probably going to take forever to strip anything.

What are trying to take off - chrome? Maybe I should have told you to use the coal slag after allā€¦

Also, Danny just added 200 lbs so you should have a selection of abrasives.

Your face the first time I suggested installing a Passive Dryer

Frank, I have no idea what the hell you are saying - the first time you put your face in the cabinet install a Passive Dryer? That doesnā€™t sound pleasant.

You wonā€™t like it 'cause itā€™s not a quote.

Huh? Is that some sort of British slang?

JAG ā€œGoing Nuts Per Dannyā€™s Directiveā€ MAN

1 Like

Do you mean this link?

It is just a link to blasting tooling, and does not have specific piece of equipment in scopeā€¦

Also, it appears youā€™re suggesting these solutions as being needed for the entire shop, not just for the sandblaster. I got no problem with that, if itā€™s needed, and it may be, but I donā€™t think we should need any of these at the sandblaster. A simple inline water separator SHOULD be enough, although as noted, we already have a small one and if itā€™s enough is some debateā€¦

I thought you were already there, man. Already thereā€¦

1 Like

Is this still needed? If so, where should I leave it in the Metal Shop and can someone obtain Leeā€™s permission for the donation?

Until we get something better, perhaps this might interest someone

Keith Rucker upgrades his sand blaster

1 Like

Because Iā€™ve never seen one, how do the pressure feeders work in terms of returning media for re-use? Is it a fill it up and use it til itā€™s out and then stop to refill? or is there a valve of some sort to let it auto-fill when itā€™s not under pressure? Maybe some other option?

sorry to bump an old post but its the same question as OP~ i have a specific application i would like to use SODA blasting and would like to check if it would be okay in this cabinet?

also i would like an official class on the new cab if anyone is going up there anytime this week or next maybe? i have done sandblasting before just want to make sure i use the DMS tools proper like.

First Iā€™d advise checking on volume pressure requirement and nozzle oriface size to make sure itā€™ll work.

Soda blasting is awesome. I remember a sales demo where the guy took a Sharpie, drew a line on a Coke aluminum can were the red anodize is then removed the Sharpie line and barely touched the red. It was impressive, but I recall we had a good size airline to it.

Good luck!

Where can one locally procure sand blasting media for removing paint from metal parts?

NW Home Depot near Josey and I35ā€¦ no go.

Horror fraught or northern tools.

1 Like

Danke 78901234567890