SAE J3061 :blankspace:

Curious what the thoughts are 'round here regarding SAE J3061

I’ll start the ball rolling:
SEVENTY-SIX BUX TO SEE THE DAMNED THING!!!?
http://standards.sae.org/j3061_201601/

The devil will be in the details, and considering car companies history those details will be proprietary. That means the implementation will only be vetted by a small group and very likely done poorly and hence still easily hacked.

Kind of like this
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/forget-wireless-your-pcs-are-less-safe-now/27825?u=wandrson

1 Like

Why would the car’s driving systems need to be accessible via wifi or cellular data to begin with?

2 Likes

Because such toys appeal to the millenials who are the major market now.

3 Likes

Being the Luddite that I am, I can only think of a few things:

• Positional information for navigation: this will be a must have access for self driving at any level.
  • Traffic Information so cars AI can decide fastest route
  • Charging station availability (I’m assuming that e-cars will become large percentage of cars on road much faster than infrastructure will support charging them, so you’ll want to know where the shortest line in). Not a “required” item for car to function, but necessary to enjoy use of car.
  • Car with AI and semi/advance driving autonomy will make driver able/want to access data from web. Although I would assume driver’s use could be on totally separate air gapped system so as to avoid problems.
  • Car can write an issue traffic violations and notify police in real time as it rats you out.
  • Insurance companies will want data so they can rate your policies, upward, based driving behavior and use.
  • Government will want to charge Road Use Taxes since it isn’t being collected through fuel taxes and roads still need work.
  • So spouse or significant other can see where your cheatin’ ass is - or so they know when it’s safe.

Totally an aside: When cars become totally autonomous every store will have drive-thrus. You’ll be ale to send car out Dominoes, Taco Bueno, etc. to get food and bring it back to the Space. How cool will that be?

3 Likes

I’d bet we will have a delivery drone quicker.

2 Likes

add to list:

• Tracking impending Drone crashes so as to avoid traffic snarls.
1 Like

Well, in the case of self driving cars and cars where firmware does more and more, manufacturers can push out software changes quickly and get them deployed faster than ever. No more driving into the dealership to get software updates and critical patches that are security or life and safety types can get distributed at speeds that will benefit everyone.

Now the proprietary part is terrible. They should partner up with MIT and other universities to pen test and hammer on their code to see how much hardening it truly needs - which I think would be a lot.

Only slightly better then a purely proprietary solution. A search for the history of cracks indicate that the people who find them are rarely involved in academia. Pure open source security systems have a much better history of having problems found and solved the most quickly. A University that has signed a NDA is not in a position to let the customers (and those who might want to create a fix) even know about the problem.

Ugh. That resurrects an unhappy memory. I had to pay about the same to find out how long packets are correctly framed only to later find out no packets were long enough to need framing. I really despise entities that publish documents beginning with “J”.

1 Like

You won’t find a manufacturer willing to use Open Source on a product that has life and safety consequences.

I wouldn’t contribute code to it… anyone that does is at risk. This is an area of high probability of lawsuits.

Good luck to them. I don’t see Ford, Fiat, or any other real manufacturer using it.

Wait till you’re older kiddie!

It’s amazing how much mature wisdom resembles being just too tired.

Russell Ward

2 Likes

I disagree, at least to the reason your providing…

If liability was a concern, they would just purchase the needed congress critters to provide legislation granting them immunity, in much the same way they are in the process of doing in regards to self driving cars.

3 Likes

Articles I have read state one of the reasons auto manufactures won’t team up with Apple or Google is because they, like both these companies, want to control there eco-systems data.

1 Like

A great first step would be to not put entertainment and vehicle control on the same bus.

A great second step would be to employ people who are capable of understanding written English…

In other words, J3061 is useless as long as vehicle manufacturers continue making really stupid mistakes.

(Just today, yet again, my F-150 corrupted the USB drive containing my music. Why does it need write access to a drive containing music?)

“Siri, send the car to get my lunch.”

2 Likes

“Siri, why is there a quart of oil from Autozone with my lunch order?”

“The car was thirsty”

1 Like

Go Microsoft! :blankspace:

1 Like