S&B Intake Upgrade

Based on experimental results, I decided to improve both turbo response and the potential overheating issue with my truck’s Duramax engine.

It seems that the LLY engine ('04-'05) suffers from a constricted turbo elbow. This causes intake air to be compressed and heated (there’s science for ya!) as it changes direction toward the turbo intake blades. The extra heat is removed via the inter-cooler and rejected by the radiator, but that hot air stays under the hood and re-enters the system to form a weak positive-feedback loop when highly loaded.

A service bulletin from GM provides a solution, albeit not a very convenient one: Replace the LLY intake with the LBZ intake, but this also requires the replacement of everything upstream to the air filter box. Fortunately, there is an aftermarket alternative. S&B makes a direct-fit replacement for the OEM intake elbow which has 78.6% less restriction of airflow.

It was fairly simple to install, taking about only an hour to do from start to finish.

I also confirmed that the CCV system was dribbling oil down the back of the intake elbow. Grody.

A test drive confirms better throttle response, less cruise-control hunting, and a slightly lower steady-state temperature than before the upgrade.

7 Likes

Did you notice an EGT drop at all?

1 Like

Currently w/o a EGT gauge, so no data on that.

Update:

If the ECU can be believed, fuel efficiency has increased by about 2 MPG. 19.5 MPG, not accounting for the 265/75R16 (on truck) versus 245/75R16 (stock) tires.

Improvement in the 2-3k RPM band is significant. Merging from eastbound 635 to northbound DNT today was excitingly like a rocket engine had been strapped to the rear end. :smiley:

Sadly, the 6-speed Allison 1000 transmission is not compatible with the ECU on my model year, so no transmission swap is in my future. I’ll have to be happy with 4+OD.

Time to put the aftermarket intake back and add a tune:)
Propane injection next

Nah. :slight_smile:

Next projects: fuel-water separator and lift pump on the frame rail by the tank, 2 micron CAT filter with adapter up at the OE filter head/heater to protect the injectors; stop-drill the dash trim crack; fix seat heater switch module which keeps trying to roast me even when I don’t push it; and a few more…

(edit: now this is a cold-air intake that I’d be proud to tack on) :smiley: