Ryobi tools for home use

Just a quick question…

How many of you have purchased Ryobi One+ tools since using them here at DMS?

I have a miter saw, circular saw, 1/2" drill, 2 cutoff saws, jigsaw, spiral saw, nail gun, and just picked up the inflator and 2 more batteries.

I started off buying the miter saw on clearance at Home Debit and the circular saw, drill, and 2 cutoff saws from the cheap tool store in Vista Ridge mall. Got those with a charger and 3 batteries for $104.

These things are addictive and very nice tools for the money.

3 Likes

Over the years I’ve accumulated the requisite drill starter kit, followed by circular saw, angle drill, impact driver, HID spotlight, and blower. On the 40V outdoor tools side I have a weedeater, leaf blower, and the first gen brushless lawnmower.

I’ve also found the One+ line to have great bang for the buck with decent performance and longevity to match. There are other makes that are arguably better - Makita, DeWalt, Milwaukee - or if you’re feeling exceptionally flush with cash, Hilti - but those seem geared for the professional crowd and less the home gamer crowd. I’ve done quite a bit with my set and save for the circular saw making occasional wonkey noises (likely a consequence of how hard it has to work, the crappy pack in blade, and possibly a little water intrusion) haven’t had any issues with the tools. The pack-in batteries have been pretty meh, as is the nature of small power tool batteries; grab a pair or two of the 4Ah or newer 6Ah whenever they’re on sale if you want to build a deck or do any serious/prolonged work - they’ll last longer per charge and last longer in general since you’re not beating up the chemistry as bad. I’ve got a pair of the pack-in batteries (one seems to still work), a pair of the nicer compact batteries (one is thoroughly dead), and six of the 4Ah batteries (all of which seem to be in great shape).

On the 40v outdoor tool side, the batteries have been a disappointment. The original 2.6Ah weedeater battery has held up great - still going strong. The pair of same-capacity batteries that came with the mower itself not so much so; one has died and the other will run for five to ten minutes before cutting out. The 40V blower purchase was as much for the 3Ah battery it included as it was the blower - that’s the mower battery now. Considering a rebuild of the dead battery, but that’s gonna cost a pretty penny while 5Ah batteries occasionally go on sale on their website. Have also seriously contemplated rigging something with two One+ batteries in series to see if the lawnmower will run off those or if the crappy 3rd pin DRM will kick in; I recall that the weedeater doesn’t have a third pin and perhaps the blower is also missing it.

Can I have the dead 40v batteries?

1 Like

Perhaps an exchange of value could be worked out; it need not be monetary. I’m interested in rebuilding at least one however a search some months back turned up almost nothing on the process for doing so. I think it would be neat to shove something akin to Samsung 25Rs in there assuming they can match the Wheaties that the stock cells spit out and the internal circuitry will fill them up the entire 2.5Ah.

I can show you how to spec out batteries and rebuild it. I can also inspect the circuitry to make sure that the board isn’t the problem.

3 Likes

I was already bought into Ridgid’s form factor when I signed up at DMS. It’s the batteries that get you. Doesn’t hurt that the tools seem a bit less chintzy, even if only by a small margin. Of course they’re both owned and manufactured by the same company, who also make Milwaukee tools.

All that said, I’m really considering adding a Ryobi charger to the shop power strip because the work lights are so much better than any of Ridgid’s offerings, and cheaper to boot. No idea why a plastic case full of LED COBs should cost $100.

+1. I was able to get the 6 dock charger with 2 batteries for ~$60 last time HD had a tool sale on them.

I’ve been using One+ for over 10 years and just keep adding items. Everything is still going strong with the exception of having replaced and added batteries over the years.

IIRC, those batteries have a three (3) year warranty.

I was able to get a replacement battery for my electric mower with a phone call (and a 3 week wait). The battery was about a year old, and while I had to provide the part and serial number off the battery by phone, I did not have to mail in the receipt or jump through other hoops.

1 Like

Interesting. If I’m not at the 3 year threshold yet, I’m close to it.

+1. Also on the tools iirc.
Ridgid which is sometimes only slightly more expensive(when on sale) comes with a lifetime service and parts warranty on tools & batteries(that are purchased with the tools as a set), otherwise it’s a 3 year warranty on the batteries as well.

I bought my first Ryobi drill/driver before joining DMS. Since then, I have added the pole saw, reciprocal saw and weed whacker to my collection.

I know why they do not, but that does not stop me from wishing that the batteries from the several brands interchanged.

Do any of them make an 120 V power inverter which takes one of these battery packs but without a radio and speakers?

Often there are files on Thingiverse for the plastic body to adapt batteries and templates for the metal strips to effect the connection. However you still have to sort out if you will have any DRM issues, and how to handle them. Personally, I’d rather not trust extra connections with the current some of these tools use.

I was well started into 18V LXT makita well before finding the space, and not likely to change that any time soon.

I can actually up this one. Greenworx and kobalt 80V lawn tools are basically the same and use the same battery. But they have keyed the battery holder and battery rails to prevent cross insertion.

If you wanna get creative, there are ways…

1 Like

I’m tempted to not take this advice and see if I can trick my “40V” (actually 36V) lawnmower into running on two one+ 4Ah batteries in series. Not sure if that troublesome third pin on the mower socket is going to cause problems.