Ryobi one + drill impressions

Do they have a good selection of Ridgid? I’m an orange tool fan.

Ego just stacked more li-ion cells to hit their nominal 56V (most likely 15 cells in series at 3V minimum/3.6V nominal/4.2V peak per cell). For the kinds of work their product line is doing - sustained operation and/or significant loads - it makes sense to up the voltage so your current demands remain manageable.

NiCd systems topped out around ~18V because it took a 15 of them to hit that voltage at nominal 1.2V per cell. Funny how today’s top-end power tools are also topping out around that number despite their slimmer, lighter cells.

As much as Ryobi …

• Brags about 100+ tool compatibility for One+
  • Keeps improving the One+ series of batteries - now on their 4th generation

… I doubt they’re about to drop the platform since that’s smartphone style ecosystem buy-in they’ve developed over the last ~decade that would be a shame to waste. Worst thing I see happening is newer tools being openly incompatible with the low-end pack-in cells - such as their airstrike nailers that are known to require the Lithium+ batteries - some new tools might be “HP” exclusive.

DeWalt’s FlexVolt is an interesting concept with a surprisingly simple party trick. At rest or inserted into a “20V” tool it’s a “20V” (18V nominal, just like Ryobi) 5S3P battery. Insert it into a “60V” tool and tabs on the interface actuate switches that transform it into a 15S "60V (54V nominal) battery. Watt-hours remain constant, but the “20V” form has treble the Ah of the “60V” form.

2 Likes

It has been a while since I’ve been by there so I can’t say…

1 Like

If your looking in that price range.
These are good deals this time of year until about January.

Not brushless motor but in the price range.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Compact-Brushless-Cordless-1-2-in-Drill-Driver-Kit-W-1-2-0-Ah-Battery-Charger-Tool-Bag-2801-21P/305529238

Add a few more $$ and you get an impact driver too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Drill-Driver-and-Impact-Driver-2-Tool-Combo-Kit-with-2-1-5-Ah-Batteries-Charger-and-Bag-R9602/205762719

This one’s a brushless motor hammer drill.

If you’re looking to do more and need a third tool.
This brushless motor set comes with a free tool of your choice, and is the best deal(comes out to < $72 per tool).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-Hammer-Drill-and-Impact-Driver-2-Tool-Combo-Kit-with-2-4-0Ah-Batteries-Charger-R9205/206127587

The Ridgids have a lifetime service & parts warranty, including the batteries if it’s packaged with a tool set(with registration; need receipt from Home Depot to register).
If you buy the battery separate, it’s only a 3 year warranty on the batteries.

I think the next shift would be to the compact close to 12v sized tools with “full” 18/20V batteries. Milwaukee & Dewalt are starting to go that way. Makita has been at it for a few years with their <3 lb. 18V LXT line. Their black sub compact line is even smaller, but not quite as powerful.

Home Depot will sell you a drill, an impact driver, two batteries and a charger for $100. The price of the One+ tools is cheap enough that it’s easy to add more tools.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Drill-Driver-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-with-2-1-3-Ah-Batteries-Charger-and-Bag-P1832/207092155

1 Like

They have a decent selection but you can’t avail of the lifetime service and parts warranty without a Home Depot receipt that you need for registration.

Hey folks, Jay here with The Tool Box in Music City Mall(Vista Ridge).

So with Ryobi and Ridgid tools you do need a home Depot receipt to register the product, and must register the product to get the manufacturer warranty.

We do a 30 day mechanical warranty on all of our gear. All that said, we do beat home Depot on price pretty well. At the moment I don’t have too terribly much in the way of used Ryobi drills, but I do have a couple of the carbon brushed hammerdrills (p214) at $30 each tool only that are pretty lightly used. New standard drivers are $30 each tool only as well, for fellow makers i can do the standard drill with standard battery and charger for $50. January through March I’ll be buying alot of stuff, and have some clearance pretty cheap.

Milwaukee has the best warranty. True manufacturer warranty for 5 years from production dates. I rarely get on Maker space talk, but you can find me in Facebook market place pretty easy, or just search for me on Facebook. Jay Knipp. My profile will be the one with me and my Fiancee. I’ll try to check back for any questions, but no promises.

Also, home Depot has a stupid good deal on the Ryobi brushless combos. Something like 5-6 brushless tools, and their newest batteries which are slightly lesser versions of the new Milwaukee batteries(Milwaukee makes Ryobi and Ridgid). Or 6 batteries, brushless impact and drill witg a brushless circular saw. Both combos are only about $260-300. Any way you cut it, it’s the best tool combo I’ve seen on the market. They will continue to liquidate batteries and tools until the end of January, to avoid paying inventory taxes on their stock (why most stores are empty in January, also why my stock will be less plentiful until then).

The new battery tech in the high output TTI tools (Ridgid octane, Milwaukee High Output, and Ryobi HP) are contending with the DeWalt flexvolt system, while maintaining both backwards and forward compatibility with the old/new tools and batteries, whereas DeWalt screws you by making you buy new batteries for the new tools.

Given the lack of earthshaking new cell tech out there and handy compatibility with existing chargers/tools my assumption is that the Ryobi +HP batteries are just higher-rate Li-Ion cells with better power electronics to match. Save for the 4Ah version, they’re all nice multiples of 3Ah and look somewhat girth-ier suggesting perhaps 3mm more cell diameter and 5mm more length, implying they’ve jumped to ~21700 cells (18650s top out at 3Ah in high-rate chemistry; 21700 should be able to do the same or better capacity at lower cost with even higher peak amps).

Yes they did jump up to the bigger cells, though their new standard batteries also jumped up to a better quality of cells, not as big. No more 1.3Ah batteries after this year I believe, but 1.5 and 2.0 for standard batteries. the big tech breakthrough they have attained, besides higher peak amps, is the new pcb on the battery. TTI has always had some intense computers in their batteries, but the new cells, computers, and brushless tools communicate needs to optimize performance, and allows a jump in Amps or volts at the cost of the other as needed. The Flexvolt more or less has a hard wired capability to run 20v at say 6amp hours, or 2 Ah on 60v, but you only get 60v if the posts corresponds to bridge that gap. Milwaukee, Ridgid and Ryobi are starting to so the same thing through the PCB on the battery and it’s freaking sweet. Really cool stuff, and maintains backward and forward abilities on all the batteries and tools. DeWalt is screwing themselves with the flexvolt. People hate buying tools just to need new batteries to run them.

Also, aftermarket conversion adapters now exist for almost any brand to another. No longer are we beholden to one brand, while dying that we can’t get another brands tool without also getting their batteries.

2 Likes