Russell Ward passed away

Hey everyone,

I just heard from @Ferman that Russell @Gimli passed away yesterday. I’m very sad to share this. We don’t know of a service being arranged.

5 Likes

Very sad news. Thanks for sharing this.

3 Likes

Sad :–( Thanks for letting us know.

One of the first really interesting conversations I had when I originally joined was with Russel while he was babying his antique World War I Lee-Enfield. He was always happy to introduce anyone interested to rifle shooting and occasionally take them out to the range. Almost always :–)

RIP Russel.

4 Likes

Thank you for letting us know. Russel taught me how to reload ammunition. He was an outstanding marksman and passed along a lot of his gun knowledge. It saddens me greatly to learn of his passing. I know he’ll be greatly missed.

God bless his family and may he rest in peace.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear this. I missed him being at the space with all the long discussions. I will have those memories though. I hope he did not suffer. I hope his family is coping well.

2 Likes

Loved talking with Russell. He was a Common Room Commoner and took part in the discussion group in the small Conference Room now part of CA. Strange, but those of us that have been at DMS for a decade plus the years are starting to pile up on some of us. All of our names will appear at some point with the “I just heard …” title.

Was Russell a Ladybirder?

I do have best wishes and prayers for family. Spouses, children
(even if 50 or 60), grand children are now missing someone important in their life . . . as well as friends and acquaintances.

Thankful for the time they shared with us.

3 Likes

Damn, Russell was a great old dude. Just looking at him you knew he was trouble in the best kind of way! RIP Russell

5 Likes

I too am privileged to have enjoyed many a discussion and debate with Russell.

He proved to be right after all, it is not who votes but who counts the votes.

He was also a frequent member of the Sunday Old House BBQ gang. Is that still a thing? I still get offers texted to my phone, so they survived the pandemic.

I will miss him.

6 Likes

Need to pick a Sunday evening for a get together at Old House BBQ. To honor him and see each other before there is another "Just to let you know . . . "

5 Likes

Bummer. Yeah, he was great to talk to. Sad when we got rid of Hatchers and he wasn’t around as much.

1 Like

Would like to propose Sunday the 29th as an Old House BBQ get together for Russell.

May have these get togethers quarterly on semi-annually: Honor those that have Passed and those of us still here, Old House late on Sunday evenings has always been a good place: pretty much empty for sit down and allows us to move tables together. Pretty tolerant about letting us stay over 30-45 past closing as the clean.

I’ll be there, like before, show up if you want.

2 Likes

This is very sad news. Russell was great to talk to and will be missed.

When do you want to start The Gathering

2 Likes

Website says open till 9PM, I think we used to meet there 7PM so any crowds were gone. Does 7PM still sound acceptable?

That works.
Some irony for the event -
I hitched a ride with Russell over to Old House for Walter’s wake.

I will not be your ride to this event.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t bring that factoid up.

1 Like

That would want me to walk or drive myself. Lol

3 Likes

It was a good evening, just 6 of us.

We are proposing getting back to a pre-Covid schedule meting at Old House BBQ @ 7PM on the last Sunday of every month. So everyone knows where and when - more later.

3 Likes