Russell is doing OK

I found out this morning that Russel Ward (@Gimli) is in the ICU at Methodist Richardson Hospital. His wife explained to me that he is in very bad shape and can not have any visitors or gifts currently. So please keep this in mind and don’t attempt to visit yet, I will update this thread when visitors are welcome.

Please keep Russel in your thoughts and prayers. To my understanding, he went into the hospital Monday with Pneumonia, from there he became AFib and is also going through Renal Failure.

For those unsure what all the medical term mean, Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs which cause the build up of fluid in the lungs. AFib stand for atrial fibrillation which means the upper two smaller chambers of your heart are not pumping in rhythm with the rest of the heart. Instead they pump too quickly and out of sequence. Renal Failure means that the Kidneys are failing to work properly.

Lastly for now, here is a picture of Russel doing his favorite past time critiquing others doing work, for those that may know him by sight rather than name. He is the guy in the background smiling.

If you have any words you would like shared or gifts, please contact me. I will get them all to his wife. Russell is one of the most generous and kind people I know, I hope he makes it out of this.

24 Likes

Thank you for letting us know this. What terrible news. He will be in our thoughts and prayers, as will his wife.

3 Likes

Thanks for letting us know, Nick. This is awful. The chest crud going around has been horrific this year and we’ll be keeping him and his wife in prayers here.

3 Likes

Thanks @Nick, we’ll be sending good thoughts Russel’s (@Gimli) way.

3 Likes

Please keep us advised. Russell is very special.

9 Likes

Definitely in thoughts and prayers. Thanks for the information.

4 Likes

Nick - we need 3 people to sit in for Russell at the Philosophy meet-ups to give you & me crap - who can we find? And let us know if you hear when we can visit him or if I can lend a hand on anything for him.

8 Likes

Just heard from Nick - Seems Russell has been moved out of the ICU ward. We are hopeful we might be able to visit him some time this week.

21 Likes

Thanks for the heads up @Nick

That’s good to know.

2 Likes

Just got off the phone with Russell’s Wife Shirley. He has requested his phone. This is great news. Shirley said she would call me when she finds out if he wants visitors or not. The family came through yesterday and really tired him out. Plus, Russell has never been a fan of being doted over. As he has made it clear he doesn’t want a parade of visitors already.

On the health side, they are waiting to see how his kidneys recover. But, that is it from what I know.

14 Likes

Just got off the phone with Russell and he sounds Good.

Seems like he will be in the hospital for another two or three days. He made it explicitly clear he didn’t want visitors, but he does appreciate that many people here care for him. I don’t know if he knows about this thread yet, I’ll probably catch some flack from him for pulling in the “DMS drama” to him. But, o well, that is what you get by being friends with me.

Thank you to everyone for your well wishes and likes. They are appreciated.

22 Likes

I cannot wait to give Russel crap (and a big bear hug)!

EDIT: Mainly because I know it would drive him nuts!.

11 Likes

Hey Nick - can you make up a bunch of “Russell we missed you” t-shirts for us to hand out at DMS? I’d put in for some of that action… maybe some balloons, a banner… go big or go home - right?

10 Likes

I love the sentiment. :smile:

1 Like

Russell is the kind of person I have come to really appreciate at DMS. He gives selflessly to others and is passionate about everything in the shooting world. He’s taught me much about reloading and about firearms in particular. He has a wealth of knowledge he is willing to share.

He’s an all around great guy and is greatly responsible for welcoming my long time friend Thurman @bhouse to DMS.

I’m in for wearing or buying one of those T’s @Axel_Ohmstede mentioned if we print any, mostly because it would really show him how many people care about him and probably get under his skin a little, too. :grinning:

9 Likes

The bigger the fuss, the better! Lol

3 Likes

Please let me know if there’s a t shirt buy. I’d like one to bug Russell with.

–Thurman–

3 Likes

It sound like we need the lighted sign in the lobby to welcome him back …

:smiling_imp:

5 Likes

Thanks for all of the concern, it is really appreciated. Reading the report above of my imminent demise was really scary. I’m glad that report wasn’t related to me. I don’t know where the doctors got their symptoms but my reality was quite different.

As soon as I can catch my wife looking the other way I plan on sneaking off to DMS.

Russell Ward

21 Likes

Stop worrying us already.

You doing ok?

2 Likes