Running for chair and my ideas

I intend to run for chairman of the Education committee I wanted to get many of my ideas down before I announced this I have spent quite a bitof time thinking about this and what is needed

I have been an active teacher since right after I joined, mostly in jewelry but also in Ceramics and CA

Here are my ideas I think they are well though out and yet have some flexibility

With money tight we need to look to being frugal

First, the head issue in purple, 3D and the new lobby classroom
If I remember the landlord will only allow the reflective film, not the mirrored fils on
those windows If so it will only block part of the heat My thought is to use that along with
heat blocking drapes if allowed by fire marshal to make a dead air space Fairly heap and easy to install

Lobby classroom–I would like to plan on a projector system there’’ Lets see if we can find someone to donate it
ans we can put a plaque on the wall thanking them (the same for the new computers in the computer lab

computer lab will need 24 in tables The tables used for the design computer in the Common room seem to work well and we should have several to more I believe they were not expensive that room will need a good monitor… maybe use the 3rd monitor from Interactive for a start Look for donations for the computers there

Galley/wet classroom We need to reach out the space to find out what used folks will want this room for
I know that fiber had discussed wet felting and dying maybe basket weaving This would allow us to know what all is needed there If a fridge is desired I would suggest that we look for a dorm fridge after school when folks are needing to find home for them
I like the idea of using the folding white tables in here, I also think we need some type of water resistant chaird also

Old CA room It seem very unlikely that we will get the needed division and second door My thought is to build a room divider, not to the ceiling in three pieces 2 to reach form wall to the pillar and one to partially block the rest of the way but allowing for a walkway. with 3 larger lecture areas and one medium one we will really need space for smaller hands on classes I would love to equip these 2 spaces with a basic closed circuit TV system so student can easily see the institutors hands we will likely need 2 larger monitors there
We will need to investigate what type of tables will be needed I sort of lean toward the folding white plastic ones in at least one of the area in one of the class area in case someone needs to bring in tools like dye sub

Bills ideas on interactive during constructing seem spot on

I would like for us to ask Logistics for some lower storage space where some teacher, especially those that teach in multiple areas can store class supplies in covered bins

Now education plans

Keep encouraging the Trainer the Trainer classes I would like for us to offer some classes in How to teach both lecture and hands on classes

I would also like to see several general space safety class every year, Red Cross first aid, maybe even a class for treating various types of burns

As we add classrooms I would like to see some business classes added We are full of artists and entrepreneurs classes on writing a business plan, basic bookkeeping, even some basic business law

Further out I would like to work with the committees to develop a plan so they could host workshops with an outside teacher I would expect many of these classed to be a lot more costly, like in the $100 range This would likely need to be done with Board approval

I would love to see us develop some day maker classes aimed at senior citizens Things from art to improving computer skills to those for those with disabilities

That is some of my ideas enough for a good start, I think

3 Likes

Are classroom and education the same committee?

Yes.

Classroom was renamed Education in October 2018:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20181015

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/rename-and-focus-classroom-committee-as-education-committee-20181015/44475

2 Likes

I own Subway sandwhich shops and can get those retractable window films at cost if someone wants to pay for them keep me in mind.

4 Likes

Cairenn thank you for attending last night (and everyone else too!)

Even though your decided to step back, many of these ideas are spot on, and so I wanted to make sure they are kept in mind as the group works in March.

3 Likes

Nancy has more skills than I do, I have some ideas
To me, leadership is knowing when someone else can do a
better job for the organization

Leadership does not always mean leading, it is also helping others take the
lead

Just wisdom from an old lady