Router tool bit bent

Hey all, today, this bit bent pretty bad. It made a loud noise, shook the whole tool hard, and as I hit the estop, it popped out.

Fun end to the year lol

Yeow. Were you taking a large depth of cut?

Not at all, half inch increments for a cutting board handle.

Was the shank fully seated in the collet? The shoulder of the cutters shouldn’t be more than 1/16-1/8" above the collet nut. And the nut should be very tight.

Our router collets seem well worn to me, if you loosen the nut the bit can be easily pulled out. On my router at home when I loosen the nut the collet stays put and I have to loosen the nut a few turns by hand then another half turn with a wrench to physically pull the collet out of the router.

Also, not sure if the shank of that bit was scarred up before you installed or if thats damage from coming loose, if the shank has any noticable scratches the bit should be tossed. The collet won’t grip a scratched router bit shaft

Not by where the bend is… you can tell the shank wasn’t deep enough by we’re the bend was… to much force more than likely was applied… how thick was the piece you were feeding into it ? Cutting boards you should be using 1/2 shank bits… with the shank half way in the collet

2 Likes

Half an inch seems like a big bite for a bit that big - and probably should dial the speed down too (the motor in that table should be adjustable speed IIRC). And yeah, 1/4” shank bits are junk. I won’t use them for anything but a quick flush trim on thin material.

2 Likes

Is the router itself jacked up now? I was planning on using it today!

Router is fine, just that one bit bent

Haha I learned that. Ty for the advice, there was a few of us in there and it was very weird. Didn’t know about speed adjustment

1 Like