Rounded Nut Tips

Hey everyone,

New maker here, still getting familiar with the shop area.

I am working on an '06 Nissan Altima and I’m having some difficulties with a rounded nut on the passenger side motor mount. I was at the space today, but for the life of me I could not get the nut off. I tried using the Irwin extractor set, however the nut is on a bolt that requires a deep socket so the extractor set didn’t reach. I couldn’t find one, but is there any kind of nut splitter available? Or does someone have any ideas using the tools available in the shop (Note: I have not fulfilled the training requirements for any power tools)? To make matters more difficult, there is very little space to maneuver any tools. However, I do not care about preserving the nut or bolt.

Appreciate any advice,
Nic

Nic, what evening will you be at the space next?
If tonight - I’ll be up there for a couple hours starting around 730pm

Here is a trick. Use a small propane torch and heat up the nut. Then take an ordinary birthday candle and melt it on the threads of the bolt. The melted wax will flow towards the hot nut. Let it cool down and the nut will come right off. I’ve used this trick to remove studs from engine blocks.

4 Likes

Is there enough room to grind or file two flats onto the nut and then use an open end wrench or vice grips on it? (plus pb blaster or heat)

1 Like

Depending what kind of socket was used, look for a “better” one?
They’ve gone by many names over the years, but some people swear by “flank drive” (snapon).
Original patent.
Many others now have similar concept tools.
Some of the names they’ve used include suregrip, surface drive, optitorque, headlock, etc.

Irwin claims to use “corner rounding” to achieve a similar result.

Thanks for the offer, but I won’t be there tonight. I might drop by this Wednesday or sometime in the weekend, but I’m planning on getting this done as soon as I am able; the vibrations have been terrible and this mount has got to go.

@richmeyer I’ve never handled a propane torch before, so I would definitely need a class first.

@Brandon_Green I’m not sure if vice grips would fit, or if the did, have enough room to actually turn. The only open space in the engine is where the radiator overflow tank is. I took off the plastic housing above the front passenger tire and gotten it below with an 8" extension, but still didn’t have the leverage. I didn’t take off my wheel though since I had a jack holding up my engine, but with the right bit, that may be the solution.

@jast Would the Makerspace have any sockets like that, or should I consider getting one? I’ll even donate it afterwards to save someone else the headache!

I’d center punch the bolt and drill it out, since you don’t care about either nut or bolt.

Nic,

I’ll send you my phone number in a PM in a sec.
Can you text me a pic of the offending nut? If you can make it Weds evening after 7pm - I can meet you/help you.

Per Jast - Flank drive can be found on many BETTER tools today - but better sockets and wrenches is something the space doesn’t have yet.

1 Like

So, unfortunately I won’t be able to make it back to the space until Monday. I’m also unable to take a picture of the nut without removing some parts out of the way, which I currently don’t have time to do. I think my current plan is to get a reinforced cut off wheel for my rotary tool. As long as I can get the bolt to be shorter, then I’ll be able to use the extractor tool at the space.

1 Like

I can make it up there Monday but it will be later afternoon /early evening

Sorry for the delayed response, end of semester time for me. I plan on being there in the morning, but I’ll post an update if I get it finished or not. I plan on being their Wednesday night for Woodshop Basics so that’ll be my contingency day.

As of this morning, the nut has been taken off and the mount has been changed. Thanks for y’alls advice.

4 Likes

Glad to hear it was a success!