Rotary question for fusion

I have a tumbler or two to engrave but it’s been a hot minute since I’ve done it. Reviewing my notes from class I have down that the ‘imate will be lower on the glass than it appears on screen’. Is that still an issue or has that been fixed? Does anyone know exactly how much offset to account for if it’s still an issue?

Same question for the whole size of the graphic issue. The video on the fusion site for rotary files specifically has the design set up being the circumference of the tumbler etc, but that clashes with the whole 100x100 thing from when we first got the machine.

I’ve not had issues with it as long as you’re careful with setting your origins on the machine and your job. I tend to prefer left-center for my work on the rotary. Things will only need to be adjusted if you don’t set a machine origin.

It’s useful to know the circumference size, as that’s the size of your surface you can engrave, but I’ll usually just set it to whatever my artwork size is (when printing from illustrator, select the custom page size)

The only issue I’ve had is when the wheels don’t grip well, in which case your art will appear scrunched.

Thanks! Yeah the only reason I want to use the full width/circumference is I want a name on one side of the tumbler and a design on the other and I feel like getting it equidistant without using one image would be challenging.

I would be tempted to mark the glass on centers and run two jobs, but I don’t always trust the rollers to work perfectly. But yes, if you use the custom page size out of illustrator, you should get it to come out as artwork size instead of the insane 100x100 size :slight_smile:

This is actually a isn’t glass but a powder coated metal. I guess if I set center top as origin I could measure and mark around the cup. Hmm

All sorts of options! Hopefully you’ll let us know how it turns out. I know Chris is running some classes shortly too, and would probably give don’t some advice when he’s around

So that’s not a bug, that’s due to parallaxing. That’s just a thing with pretty much all digital cameras in that, at least in this specific instance, the camera gets less and less accurate the further down the bed is. Since the bed on the rotary tool is pretty low, the camera image is inaccurate. It’s just physics and not something that can really be ‘fixed’, as it were.

If you’re going to use the Rotary tool, framing is your friend. You’ll want to measure the length of the bottle and then use the on-screen rulers to place it the proper distance away from the left side of the screen, whatever that may be, and all the way at the top of the image.

Basically, when it comes to rotary jobs, you can’t use the camera image for alignment pretty much at all. Just pretend it’s not there and use the ruler markings on the edge of the screen instead.

2 Likes

Hey, so I’m here trying to make a cup and I ran the image once, it looks good but didn’t get me a clean silver so I went to run it again and it didn’t start at the same spot. I didn’t do anything other than trace and hit start again on the same file. I’m not sure why it’s doing that’s any suggestions?