Roofing... The good or the bad

It’s not really that much per watt because his entire roof are not solar shingles. These solar roofs are geared for people like me who really shouldn’t buy solar panels without getting a new roof installed because of its age. So a good comparison would be how much it would cost me to get a new roof plus the cost of having a full solar panel set up installed. That would be the proper comparison. Tesla is still A LOT more expensive, but not $6.77/watt expensive.

I’d probably also go with a metal roof with solar panels before the Tesla roof at this point. I’m not THAT rich! :money_mouth_face:

I had a new roof installed several years ago and I’m confident it was markedly less than $700 a square.

1 Like

I put R-28 panels on my roof 7 years ago. They instantly cut my Electric Bill in half.

The total cost was about $5K, $3.8K for materials, and $1.2K for my kid and friend to help install. It paid for itself 3 years ago in lower energy and insurance premiums.

Maybe I’ll go Solar, when the power company pays you for every Watt, and not just to Zero your bill.

Mind sharing your BOM and any pics?

Sorry, I don’t have the receipts any longer. I actually rented a box truck and drove down past Waco to pick up the panels, because the quote I got from Mueller was substantially higher. A lady at the supplier had asked for a layout of the roof and dimensions, and then she put together the package of panels, trim, screws, and foam pieces. It all fit together very well. I ended up installing the steel panels on top of the existing shingles because they are so light that they don’t add any significant loading, and I didn’t have to recreate any seals around the chimney or vent pipes.

Here is a pic from Google satellite. I joke that aircraft now approaching DFW use my house as a landmark to line up their course.

2 Likes