Roof Top Antennas

Today (Wednesday) the Board of Directors and myself had a meeting with the Landlord. The intent of the meeting was to update the building lease to agree with the various operations that are being done at DMS.

The Landlord is not opposed to anything DMS is doing inside their building as long as we meet all building codes, have liability insurance coverage, and that they are informed of any changes. The Landlord will allow antennas on the roof for the Amateur Radio operation, but it must be added to the Lease Agreement. The Board of Directors is putting together verbage for the Lease Addendum which will include other updates for the Automotive Committee, the Amateur Radio SIG, and other areas.

The Amateur Radio SIG needs to get with the BoD with the type of verbage for this Lease Addendum. A description of the antennas, roof locations, mounting techniques, cabling, etc. This is our opportunity to specify what we want. If we state that the antennas may be visible from the road then let’s state it as such. If it is specified in the Lease, then we are legal.

16 Likes

I know this is coming in a bit late, but did we specify anything. I think our current method of mounting seems like a good approach since I doubt it they would let us do more permanent mounting. Getting rid of the not visible from the ground clause would be great since hight is might in many cases.

1 Like

Nothing has been specified.

The Leasing agent stated that as long as we comply with all building codes an antenna installation is okay. The City of Carrollton requires a building permit for an antenna installation. Permit cost is about $75. We would need a couple of Engineering drawings of the antenna installation, probably add some technical language such as; Vendor and model number of antenna, wind load, height, base mounting, support structure, anchoring method, grounding, lightning protection, etc. Then attach this documentation to the City Permit request.

If we do this for the larger antenna, then we have documented proof to the Landlord of compliance. After that a few other minor antennas could be added to the roof as needed. Keep in mind that we have several other antennas that were donated by the estate of Walter Anderson.

If someone can write up the documentation package, then I can file for the building permit.

Below I have attached a copy of the building codes for Amateur Radio Antennas, see Section D.

Antenna Regulations.pdf (187.1 KB)

2 Likes