Rogue Strandbeest Bike Build

Got maybe half way through making the crank pieces, need to figure out a good way to attach the sprocket next, since it will be welded inside the crankshaft sides.

Rough cut the flat bar and rod pieces on horizontal bandsaw

For the rod pieces, I then faced off both ends in the lathe, then used height gauge to scribe a witness mark and measure total length. Then when putting piece in the chuck I set it up against the bit and set a dial indicator to 0 and knew exactly how much to take off, got them all within a thousandths (which is very unnecessary)

Tapping the fine thread took way more time than I expected, wasn’t brave enough to try power tapping so it was all just by hand

Drilled the crankshaft holes all at the same time after evening up the ends with an endmill, the holes are exactly 4.160" apart

Showing how the pieces of the crank will go together, the non zinc plated rod will be welded to the sides with the ball bearings already on the shaft. Will probably 3d print a jig to hold the sides when welding to be sure they are as parallel as possible

6 Likes

Made a large quality control mistake, I didn’t measure the dimensions of the center supports of the linkages before gluing half of them together. When I was cleaning up the edges of the pieces after CNC router I used the horizontal belt sander and just my hands to square hold them square to the belt which was much too aggressive. Ended up sanding off 20 thousandths (~1/64 of an inch) off the ends of some of the pieces, these pieces are the only thing that set the distance between and parallelness of the sides of the linkages. So now the distance varies slightly between the ends of the linkages. The options are either remake these pieces or just sand down the mating piece to add in more clearance.

I should have designed in more clearance (~1/16") to each of the joints. Can see the height difference here, the linkage is one that is glued together already

Crankshaft and a jig to hold the offset sides during welding, will be interesting to see if 3d printed jig immediately melts to the metal during welding

4 Likes

Using jig (2 holes drilled 17.168" apart) to glue to together strut K, which is the longest bottom strut that needs to have a slightly offset shape to avoid colliding with the rest of the leg. Also cut out another square piece to glue to the bottom that could reinforce the two arms, but it seems fairly strong as is.

3 Likes

Not sure if this is a standard size, but I’m impressed that the spoke holes are the same diameter as the sprocket holes, will just have to figure out how to mount axle housing in bridgeport, does DMS have the tool needed to remove bicycle gears from axle housing?

2 Likes

Flattened the faces of the hot rolled bar that will be the sides of the crank

I used 3d printed jig and got one piece welded when I realized that welding each piece individually(6 joints that would all need to be perfectly 90 degrees) and then hoping that they end up lining up enough to rotate without binding was a really bad idea.

So I cut apart that one piece back apart, and instead I will weld together the frame first (out of 3/4" square tubing 1/16" wall), then weld the crank bearing pillow blocks onto the frame with a solid rod aligning all of the bearings, that will guarantee that they are all lined up, then I can weld the individual crank arms onto smaller rod pieces inside the frame (using same 3d printed jigs for 120 degree offset)

Instead of using the pieces I sanded out of shape for the final 3 struts, I made some precision thickness wood using the bridgeport

All the plywood leg pieces are ready to go

5 Likes

You could make a mold of the jig and then cast plaster (dental plaster is harder, Plaster of Paris is cheaper) into the mold - it’d likely hold up better than the original plastic part would.

2 Likes

The one piece I did weld I didn’t notice any melting, of course I didn’t do a full bead. But ended up cutting this one apart since I decided to weld together the frame before the crank. The flat bar is 3/16" thick, so it has a decent amount of mass to soak up the heat

2 Likes

Plan for the frame, could also make it out of plywood (would require both horizontal and vertical portions to get the needed strength), but since will be welding the crank anyway going with square metal tube seems easier to get attached to the bike. (Plus the metal from home depot is the same price as another 2’x4’ piece of plywood)

There will be two struts going straight down to attach to the bolts on the rear wheel axle, and another strut going forward to attach to the bike around where the rear brake typically is.

Pipe hangers / tube straps will secure the main axle to the frame with bolts, which means will be able to remove the plywood legs from the frame easily by removing 14 bolts, the main crank pieces and bearings will be welded in place on the frame and wont be removable

1 Like

Pro tip, before taking apart rear bicycle wheel know the difference between a cassettee and freewheel type rear gears and if you have freewheel type do not remove the wheel from the sprokes before taking the gears off, now I need to loosen the gears and don’t have a good way to hold the hub…

3 Likes

I didn’t think woodworking on the Bridgeport was allowed ?

It’s ok as long as it’s cleaned up. If we start seeing people not cleaning it up, it may change.

3 Likes

Helps to have someone holding the shop vac directly adjacent to the cutting tool capturing the overwhelming majority of the chip stream before it has a chance to land. At least that’s how we did it last time for the trebuchet.

3 Likes

Yeah I was holding the vacuum next to it while cutting and it was very effective at collecting all the sawdust, in hindsight I should have grabbed a vacuum out of woodshop instead of using the metalshop one, as the sawdust would clog the filter much faster than typical metalshop use, I’ll empty / check the metalshop vacuum filter the next time I’m at DMS.

1 Like

I suspect woodshop probably wouldn’t appreciate any small quantities of incidental oil sucked up either. Does workshop have a vac that might be more of a middle ground compromise? Might already have some oil contamination, but still dry enough to easily clean the wood chips out of?

Catching the chip stream as it’s being generated isn’t going to suck up any meaningful quantity of oil. Cleaning off the bycatch from the machine itself and particularly the ways will be different.

1 Like

I would suspect this would be the same amount of oil sucked up in woodshop as machine lubrication on the bridgeport is not overzealous.

1 Like

I had no idea what the proper order of operations were to disassemble a bicycle wheel, here is where I got before realizing I had done things out of order and had to spend an hour re attaching the spokes to the wheel

Eventually I was able to use an impact and remove the gears (can’t remove spokes from hub with gears still on)

Will be at DMS sunday evening to work on the following items

• Remove previously welded on sprocket (not centered and not enough clearance on side for 415 chain)
  • Mount sprocket on bicycle hub (mount on bridgeport with one t slot bolt going through middle)
  • Machine some 5/8 x 3/4 x 1/2 aluminum to hold main axle to frame
  • Rough cut square tubing for frame
  • Use bridgeport to cut square tubing to final dimension
  • Drill holes in 4 pieces of square tubing to bolt on aluminum blocks
  • Use bridgeport and scrap wood to create jig to hold crank axle and main axle at correct distance during welding
  • Cut main axle to final dimension
  • Use either square tubing or steel flat bar to create risers that will hold crank bearing holders correct distance above frame
  • Weld together frame
  • Weld risers to bearing holders
  • Weld risers to frame using jig to hold crank axle parallel to main axle
2 Likes

Unwelded first attempt at welding and mounting the crankshaft sprocket, I initially tried to do it in multiple operations where I welded on one plate, used inner bore to find center in bridgeport and drilled that plate, then welded other plate, then used that hole to relocate center on bridgeport, but that ended up with too much play as I didn’t relocate the center perfectly

On attempt two I welded the plate on both sides of the sprocket first, then used edge finder in the valleys of the sprocket to find the center of where the chain will rotate, drilling through the center of both plates in a single operation (32 teeth is nicely divisible by 4)

Also clearanced the inside of the other sprocket to sit flushly on the hub

I’m not sure what the correct way to clock the existing hole pattern with the table would be, but I decided to just eyeball it

I’m assuming that the outside edge of the hub is perfectly concentric with the bearing race pressed inside the hub as thats what I indicated on, the existing spoke holes were about 20 thousandths off on one side

Instead of being able to bolt on a split block to hold the main axle on, I decided to just run the main axle through the frame tube itself, reducing number of machines operations and parts needed at the cost of making it a bit harder to assemble

Getting annular cutter to match the bearing holder diameter for the 4 stands was well worth it, using a parallel as a stop was able to very quickly make 4 stands / risers that are exactly the same height

Using several plywood jigs ensured that everything stayed perfectly aligned and parallel for the frame

After letting it cool I removed the jigs and realized that the welds on only one side of the relatively thin wall tube caused a curve, bringing the ends of each tube together by about 1/8". I was able to run beads on the back side of the tube to pull the curve out to a satisfactory degree

Next steps are just mocking it up on the bicycle so I can get measurements for the support struts, and then welding the crank pieces together, and it will be ready for a test drive

1 Like

You’re going to need one of these if you’re converting a geared bicycle to a single speed.

There is no way to take out the slack otherwise on the chain, unless you happen to have sized your rear gear to allow for minimal slack on the chain(possible but you’re not always left with the gearing you desire).

https://www.jensonusa.com/Surly-Singleator-Chain-Tensioner-Black?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwoTqqp6s3gIVQkwNCh1vewT-EAQYAyABEgJugPD_BwE

https://www.merlincycles.com/dmr-sts-simple-tension-seeker-45105.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-US&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Road+Bike+Single+Speed+Components&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwoTqqp6s3gIVQkwNCh1vewT-EAQYASABEgLi__D_BwE

P.S.
No longer relevant to you now but to remove gears(sprockets) from the rear hub you would need these.
The chain tool to hold the sprockets, and socket/cassette tool to remove the lock ring on the sprockets.

Also here’s a geared to single speed conversion kit. So you still have room to lace the wheel rim to the hub(which I realize you don’t need to.

NVM, looks like you have a different style hub. Leaving the info for others that may have a Shimano style hub.

1 Like