Robotic Arm Donation šŸ¤–

ebony didnā€™t setup a meeting last sunday since it was Motherā€™s Day.

I think it may be basic IO p1 or the connector below itā€¦it is one of the biggest cables and actually has safety somthing physically printed on the cable itself i.e. not on heatshrink or a tagā€¦it is located on the rear most board.

We have a meeting scheduled for this Sunday, 5/20, 3 p.m. - 5 p.m.

1 Like

Points of note from todayā€™s session:

1. Large arm - 3rd axis motor needs to be rebuilt (at least)
  2. Started process of documentation for startup process.
  3. Discovered Selector for manual ESTOP selector has to be set to 0 or it gives ā€œEMERGENCY STOPā€ error.
  4. Found documentation for running diagnostics on page 170 of Staubli manual.
3 Likes

Today, I imaged the compact flash card over to a file

It is on the committee drive under science/robot arms/software

I also managed to extract the files from it. It was in a strange format. I had to remove some sort of boot sector from it before I could get it in a form to sorta work. I found that it was in FAT12 + the boot sector

Anyway, I used some software to extract all of the files off of it. They are also on the committee drive.

I also put the manuals under science/robot arms/manuals

1 Like

Unexpected PSS state Code nnn

Explanation: The software has detected an unexpected change in the power sequencing control hardware. The code value indicates what state has been encountered. This error should never be seen, and may indicate a software or hardware problem on either the AWC or CIP.

User action: If safe to do so, attempt to enable HIGH POWER and note any different error messages which occur. If this error persists, contact Adept Customer Service.

AWC is the processor board, the first one
CIP is the control panel

1 Like

Excellent work team !
So we meet next week same time 3- 5 ill post the event soon.
On the to do listā€¦ call the folks who would know what the pss error is .
Once we get past pss error we need to rebuild arm number 2s 3rd axis.
Also in thinking of using a multimeter to check that all start up sequence switches are good.
Also we need to get a wiki going
@actionjackson was one started already?

1 Like

As @Draco suggested a brief list of possible industry grade 6 axis arm uses.

1. Motion bases depending on payload.
    2.6 axis 3d printer
    3.6 axis router
    4.6 axis plasma cutter
  2. 6 axis camera base
  3. 100% repeatable actors in installation art
    Etc. Etc. So when persons ask ā€œwatcha gone do with that robot armā€ its not a what its a which.
    There is a proverbial terra cotta army sitting in a proverbial tomb waiting to be raised via proverbial ancient chinese magic! The mainstreaming of industry grade 6 axis arms is a wave we can simply not afford to miss!
1 Like

Wow my list making skills look incredible on talkā€¦

If people are interested, I could set up some robo-welding for them, providing the arm we have can externally actuate a trigger somehow, and it has enough force to carry the torch.

Its payload is 1 kiloā€¦i believe it is peripheral equipment compatibleā€¦we would certainly want it to have a spatter shield.

That might be a little low. 10ft of cable included the MIG gun we have weighs 7 lbs. In the case of TIG, we could probably do it though since the torch is smaller and lighter.

You probably wouldnā€™t need it honestly. All of the fanucā€™s Iā€™ve welded with in the past didnā€™t have specific shielding, they just had the wire management raceway pretty well protected. Itā€™s not like itā€™s stick welding :slight_smile:

Yes, it still needs work. Hereā€™s the link:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Staubli_Robots

2 Likes

All the weldbots ive seen are suppper sooty and grimey. That being said i dont work in the industry and it sounds like you do. Have you seen the weld bots used as tack weld 3d printers?

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen hobbyist attempts at it. Iā€™d be very interested in trying it out. The main difference between 3D printing and 3D welding to print is you have to worry a lot more about heat input, and you donā€™t have to worry hardly at all about print ā€œadhesionā€

I used to work for Lincoln Electric, so I went through their school on their different Fanuc weld robots. I wouldnā€™t say ā€œin industryā€ per say, but I spent a few months training on the different types and how to operate them, and toured factories of their customerā€™s using them.

Robotic Arm making PANCAKES!

1 Like

We have two robots, the obvious priority is to have them sword fight.

5 Likes

Interesting article about a use for the robot arm.

1 Like

Here are the licenses we have currently ā€¦

• OEM LICENCE
  • V+ Version 13
  • V+ Extensions
  • Vision
  • Integrated Motion & Vision
  • EVI Vision
  • Kinematic Modules
  • AIM Versions 3.1, 3.2, 3.3
  • AIM Extensions
  • AdeptWindows
  • EN954 Safety Category 1
  • AdeptTCP/IP Protocol Access
  • AdeptNFS Client

It looks like a copy of AIM is installed as well.
AIM is Adept Assembly and Information Management. It is a nice gui environment.
Also, later we might should look into AdeptWindows which is the PC software that allows us to program it and control it with things like Python.

1 Like

Ok so once were past pss error theoretically were ready to go? On a side note i was thinking maybe we replace the armored cable with a plastic braid jacket in order to rule out impending wire slice and make it more manageable. What yall think?

1 Like