Robotic Arm Donation šŸ¤–

You should totally start an Industrial Robotics club!

• the main thing would be finding where to store them. If you canā€™t find space then maybe a committee could sponsor you, so you could store some of your equipment in their area.

Start A Committee
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Category:Committees

3 Likes

Its really quite the problem as most of the ones youā€™ll find for cheap are big suckers. And low payload or not the inertia they get in movement (I assume as Iā€™ve only really researched a ton at this point never actually used one or gotten one working i just have some Iā€™m obsessed with getting working)
Is potentially extremely dangerous both to themselves and their environmentā€¦hence they are usually bolted down(with a reinforced dedicated pad underneath them) sooo yeee donā€™t know how to rectify that. So these stabuli units are really ideal because theyā€™re to small to really injure someone.

1 Like

Iā€™ll be up here Monday (3/5) at 8:30 p.m. if anybody wantā€™s to see how to turn it on. We might have to set a time when people want to get involve. But like I said reading the manual is key. Meeting here on Monday and showing you how things are set up might speed up that process.

V+ Version13.X Software

Running with Software Video

2 Likes

Are you sure you want to invite other groups to take the robot arms away from Science? Iā€™m not sure the Science Chair @brianbterry would be good with thatā€¦

1 Like

If you can get it to paint or sew, let Creative Arts know :smiley:

5 Likes

I love that we got a robot arm donated to us after I posted that we should get one. I do have concerns for space it takes up and application. Industrial robot arms can be dangerous and it would be nice to have some safety options like a matt or light curtain. Of course I definitely want to see this working and would be willing to help with this, itā€™s a lot of time reading the manuals and playing with it.

3 Likes

My big bruisers are in fact paint bots

1 Like

Im going to be there around that time.

1 Like

Iā€™ll be there tonight as well. I have 2 steel carts on wheels that Iā€™ll bring with me to donate towards the cause. One is large enough to fit the electronics on the bottom shelf and then mount one of the robotic arms on top. The other is a smaller steel cart on wheels that the other robotic arm can be mounted to. Iā€™ll bring them, you folks can decide if you want them or not. At least being on a roll around cart one can move them wherever in the building to work on them. Plus it will help to keep everything together.

4 Likes

"And this is how the robot war beganā€¦ "

Yep.
Last weekā€™s X Files episode touched on this some, if you saw it.
A bit unnerving and not that far fetched, in the early going anyway.
Love this stuff.

1 Like
  1. Thanks to @richmeyer for donating the carts, we attached both arms to them. @engpin, @andrewboerder, @Josh_Melnick for modifying and setting up the bases

2. @engpin @Chris_Wischkowsky @dmsfr4nklin figured out how to start up the robot. We can only move the tip, we need more power for the entire arm. @andrewboerder you said you might have some sort of power supply to help with this?

VIDEOS:

Moving End Piece

Chris Moving the Arm

Next Steps:

1. Power supply: 3 X 400V - 50/60Hz - 2800VA
  2. Read Programming/ OS manual:
    - V+ Version 13.1 Software
    CS7B - CS7MB Control Unit
    V+ Language User Guides
7 Likes

Will it be able to do this http://ktla.com/2018/03/05/flippy-the-burger-flipping-robot-is-now-cooking-at-the-caliburger-fast-food-chain/ ?

3 Likes

An arm of that size on a cart of that size should prove interesting.

2 Likes

We dont plan to run it at full speed. We are just trying to get it to work and test its range of motion.

1 Like

Yes I doā€¦we just need a place to put itā€¦Its verryyy heavy

what are its dimensions again?

Probably 10x24x24 inches

How soon after I left did it get moving lol

Maybe an hour lol. we need to write the steps down. There was a hack that we found. we were able to move the tip but the lower joints need more power.

So the big honker transformer we should be able to just shove under a table with a plug and forget about it.

1 Like