Robotic Arm Donation šŸ¤–

Noticed it on a white board in science. If its something thatā€™s needed I do have an OEM copy of Win98 Second edition available.

First stmbl almost completeā€¦this is v3.4 the ones well make are 4.1 ā€¦still waiting on one i.c. not sure if its gonna work because was my first time doing smd but well see fingers crossed

2 Likes

the other sides a bear

3 Likes

If you need help with touch up Iā€™m going to be at DMS tonight soldering something else.

Iā€™ll be wearing a shirtsleeve brownish plaid button up and jeans. Bouncing back and forth between e-lab and machine shop.

1 Like

I have a couple of questions ā€¦ @andrewboerder

First, these control 3-phase servos, right?
Second, have you thought about the position encoders and what we might need for them?

@draco yes industrial ac servos with just a few exceptions are all triphasic brushless motors. The encoders in our rx60 are triple stack resolvers the stmbl is resolver compatible. London hackspaces retrofit of their rx60 uses the exact same hardware ive described.

1 Like

Ill be there sunday wasnt able to tonight

So i havent posted the event yet cuz im terrible logistically but 3-5 sunday to plannnn.

2 Likes

So @Draco and i and two others whose names i forgot (sorry) met yesterday and discussed our plans for controller construction. Persons have offered to trade our controller for a working one but this would only afford us one working robot. The goal is to figure out how to get both robots(perhaps moreā€¦muahahahahahah) working on the same format hardware and software. Hence the need to figure out our open source retrofit, mesa,stmbl,linux cnc. In order to get funding for our robot controllers we need to teach classes so we need to produce results. Continue coming up with ideas for uses and perhaps better retrofit ideas . PRIMARY DIRECTIVE: ASSEMBLE ONE DRIVE smd assembly help and proficient soldering help needed. I will cover this first drive as im building a controller for my robots as well with the same hardware. I hope to have all the parts within two to three weeks.Same time next week.

1 Like

Hey guysā€¦ its Bradley and I think dr love was there as well.

2 Likes

So @Draco and i got the big broken rx60 more or less as fully operational as the other arm today! ā€¦screwy axis three just had to have its backlash adjusted by rotating the motorā€¦ axis 5 and 6 gave us unrectificable hard stop errors and we could not get them to moveā€¦we removed the wrist completelyā€¦took out the motors and zeroed them manuallyā€¦set the joints to scribe marksā€¦reassembled and VIOLAā€¦axis three still needs to be tweaked someā€¦its still not a whisper when it runs like the other joints but it doesnt SCREAM at us when we move itā€¦so i am positive backlash adjustment was the issue.

Uploadingā€¦ Uploadingā€¦

6 Likes

1 Like

Anybody interested in doing more stuff with robots and the science committee should meet us for lunch tommorrow sunday july 8th at cane rosso at 1 pm in carollton
https://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&channel=iphone_bm&dlnr=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=us&entry=s&sa=X&ftid=0x864c263c67d1ac1b:0x7887364d3a64841a&gmm=

So @Draco and i pulled all the connectors on the safety board cleaned them inspected the whole board plugged everything back in and ran into brake errors which i found out later on we neglected to plug in the brake connector. Plugged it in and everything ran as usual andddddā€¦our old friend pss errorā€¦ i then reseated as many connectors as i could easily reach and reseated all the cardsā€¦and still pss errorā€¦i now agree with all the pros that that controller is a dead freaking end ā€¦unless anyone has any revolutionary ideas im suspending my efforts until we can build a drive and or that controller can be swapped out as weve talked aboutā€¦theres basically nothing else we can do that i can think of with what we haveā€¦

1 Like

So are you and Draco going to pursue reverse engineering that controller?

The Chinese have a saying about being faced with a nearly impossible task, something about long eyelashesā€¦ Iā€™ll have to look it up sometimeā€¦

Im not namely because the amount of time required we could build 4 controllers which is the task i already have ahead of me lolā€¦if i had a team of people and a government entity like the peoples republic of china or USSR top brass breathing down my neck ā€¦forsuuuurrreee

So for those of you who didnt hear @Draco @Christopher_Thomas and myself discovered the root of the dread PSS error was a dirty contact on the key switch. Dallas makerspace officially has a fully operational robot controller and two arms! We have a working industrial robot! I invite you all to continue to meet with us sundays 3-5 to work on mastering the machine and making it applicable to real use! Or hell just read the manual and play with it yourself! Thanks so much to everyone who has helped us to get this far ! ROBOTS FOREVER

3 Likes

Industrial robots are very dangerous, make sure you understand the safety implecations of what you are doing before you play with them. I know you know what you are doing Andrew, but for others who may not.

I personally do a sweep with the robot to find itā€™s max range and then treat it like a pit bull on a leash, give it some extra space in case it gets bite-y.

1 Like

We have safety as one of our top concerns. We have many things at DMS that can seriously hurt you if used improperly. These arms are one of them, We are already putting in place safety measures and working on how it all can work for DMS. These robots are not toys. And anyone that operates them will have to be trained. We are working through all of that now.

That said ā€¦ whooo hooo ā€¦ Iā€™m excited ā€¦ we have lots to learn about them and lots of interest.

Anyone want to learn V+? V+ is the language used to control the robots with the current controller.
There is also some software built into them that we will need to get up and running.

We also need a Windows PC that we can use to hook up to the controller.

1 Like