Robotic Arm Donation 🤖

We received two Staubli Robotic Arms last night, as a donation. I had to park it in Science, because it seems they would be the most interested. If not it can be moved somewhere else.

We have one goal: get them up and running, if our resources allow.

thanks @engpin for finding some manuals
https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Equipment/Staubli

[

19 Likes

Awesome! Please leave work tables clear after use though and come to meeting Sunday to discuss what’s needed for it. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

2 Likes

First things first we need a good mobile base for them

1 Like

And this is how the robot war began… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

we are just slowly helping them take over the world

2 Likes

They are 2.8 KW 400 volt 3 phase system. So 400 volt 7 amp draw. Maker space has 208 3 phase I think or 220. I have 208 to 400 volt 30kw 3 phase transformer. id be willing to lend to the space. Just gotta weld wheels on it it’s 250 pounds.

5 Likes

Luckily they’re very light. One person can lift easily.

1 Like

We have 208V…

1 Like

First things first will need to be a clear agreement and consensus with Science Committee. We need to first understand potential safety hazards and required safe guards. If you want to jump into building this, feel free to move the parts into your committee area.

2 Likes

Yes. I haven’t put a volt meter to the three phase outlet but 208 or 240 is standard…also update my transformer is 390 pounds and 240 to 480…I got a guy with 4.5 KW 240 to 480 which if it’s 208 should kick out 440 which might be still a bit to much but add a trifecta of 24 volt transformers on the primary side in buck config and we should be good…if that no good I have a 3 phase varisc which would be fine to kick down the primary side …as to safety and commitees I know nothing about maker spaces logistical working and I know nobody…I’m just a guy who can get you outlandish industrial gear …need a jupiter ballistic missile? I got a guy in garland;)

2 Likes

Tonight @engpin @JayJohnson600 @Chris_Wischkowsky @StanSimmons came together and help set up the control unit. Anybody can help no experience required. Check out the manual listed on the first post.

@engpin and @StanSimmons changed out the plug to get it powered up.

Control Unit

Start up Video

Next steps:

1. keyboard and explore whats on the control unit.
  2. find a committee that will allow us to store our equipment

More pics coming soon.

2 Likes

I think this is the one which used to be stored at the Frontiers off Flight Museum.

2 Likes

Awesome so did it run on 208?

1 Like

we plugged it in to the 3 phase 220v

1 Like

Indeed it is. It fell of its cradle when they were moving it and decided it was crap. Its a lovely specimen its missing it’s second stage engine but everything else is there. 30k and it’s yours lol the perfect accent for any front yard

3 Likes

The video wouldn’t load for me did y’all get them functioning or just turned on?

1 Like

turned on for now need a six pin keyboard

1 Like

@Chris_Wischkowsky and @somecallmery, take a look inside

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

1 Like

is there still going to be a meeting on this system sunday. Im very sad i was not there for this.

1 Like

can we start an industrial robot club? i have one i would be willing to donate in addition to these if folks thought we could get it working otherwise id just keep it and tinker with it till i get bored and eventually scrap it lol. i have three others. currently working the most dilligently on getting the servo motors to work with cheap drives on a p-155. This one is something i “might get to one day” but people might not be interested. its huge.and even bringing this up might be to much a digression from the task at hand. Thoughts?

2 Likes