Rivet Nut Setter

Does the metal shop or maybe other section have a Pneumatic Hand Rivet Nut Setter? preferably one that could handle 1/2" Capacity Rivnuts? If not, is that something that DMS would be interested to purchase?
Something like this:

or

1 Like

To my knowledge, no. 1/2 is a pretty hefty size rivet nut.

Having used rivnuts (and an Astro 1442 rivnut gun) extensively on my project cars, I can’t say enough good things about them. I’ve only gone as big as M8 on my own though.

Bearing in mind I’ve got such a tool myself, I think it’d be a good thing for DMS to have around.

Rivnuts are awesome… would be a good tool.
That purchase wouldn’t even make a ‘dent’ in metal shop’s account.

Its good to have the large capacity so we don’t have to have multiple tools. 1/2 is good for larger heavy gauge metals for sturdy connection and heavier objects.

Hi. Any status on the purchase of rivet nut setter?

Loose bolt of the same size and at least 2x the length needed + nut of the appropriate size + a couple washers/lock washers = rivet nut setter in a pinch.

Put the nut on the bolt as well as the washers, then rivet nut. Place in hole and while holding bolt, tighten nut until rivet nut is crushed, then back off

Or, buy the $75 tool and do it right. This purchase should be a no-brainer. @Team_Metal_Shop

Just a suggestion seeing as how he’s checking back in after 2 months. So either his project is stalled, waiting on the purchase, or he found the tool somewhere else. You almost always have spare bolts/nuts/washers and the ‘wrong way’ takes just as long as the tool does.

Yea, but I just started a project that could use the tool too. :smile:

1 Like

This tool is very useful for many projects. You can not use washer and regular rivet if you are trying to attach 2 hollow square tubes on multiple intervals by attaching a rivet nut in one and a bolt thru the other.
I am trying to build a large (80" long) TV stand that also has support for mounting an 82" TV. So I am attaching the support tubes to frame tubes via rivet nuts (and hence the need for 1/2 rivet nuts) and I do not want it to be permanently welded.
The reason I am checking on its status is because I need this tool to do the job. I just thought it would be a very useful tool to have around at DMS. Its one of those tools that once you use it, you say how the hell did I ever lived without it.

I’m sure the tool is extremely handy if you plan on rivet nutting a ton of stuff or, as in DMS’s case, multiple people that would make use of it. My recommendation was just an alternative to waiting for X amount of months to do something you can do with less than a $1 worth of supplies. I needed to replace a rivet nut in the frame of my motorcycle. Took one trip to Ace and had the new nut in place in less than 5 min, including the time needed to drill out the old one.