Rifle Open Carry - RNC/WEST OHIO MINUTEMEN 2016

I’m there with you, but sometimes you have to play theater to entice folks to bring their curiosity over to learn.

It is a wonderful thing you’ve never been an instructor if you view any type of weapon as “toys” or “adult Legos”. Your comments don’t convey an understanding of respect and safety in regards to firearms even if you’ve been around then your ENTIRE life. Your actual views may differ but what you’ve stated on this thread is part of the reason I have the opinion that I do.

3 Likes

Firearms are not toys in the sense that they are not real and non-dangerous.
They deserve respect and proper handling.
They absolutely are very real and can be very dangerous.

However, many things are considered “man toys.” including some very dangerous things.
Large and fast automobiles, for example.

I want this show and tell to be safe and informative for everyone. There will be rules. I like @Nick s idea on holding all of the firearms in one room, with checks in the entry point. What I would like to see is people become educated on firearms. What they are and what they are not. (just because they are black does not make them more dangerous)
I would like people to have to opportunity to handle them in a safe way and have an invitation to go out and shoot with us.

3 Likes

Treat it like a gun show, firearms are checked at the door and zip tied through the action.

It’s not about how safe you think you are with a firearm, it’s about making everyone else feel safe.

5 Likes

There are no 30.06 / 30.07 signs at DMS. Open and concealed carry happen reasonably often. Persons doing so will not submit to search I suspect.

I’m not sure where inspection of items to be included in a show and tell equals a search. But I will agree that it should be like any gun shop. If it enters the building concealed carry or in a holster, it shall not leave the holster unless use of force is justified.

4 Likes

I agree for most circimstances.

The point was that we will not be getting carried away with searches.

I believe that anything like a search will be singularly contingent upon presenting a piece for demonstration at such an event, which is presumed not to be a carry piece.

2 Likes

In my experience on this subject, it pays to be VERY specific. Just covering the bases.

Think this would be a great start for a series of classes. A class on the various calibers, what their designations represent, history behind, custom loading/resizing, etc. American vs European numbers. Raises the question of can ammo be brought in for such a class without the gun(s).

Any members teach CCL? Class on your legal responsibilities w/ and w/out CCL license. Disclaimer - Not legal advice.

Lots of possibilities

Why not just as well organize a DMS sponsored meeting at a firing range, where people expect and CONSENT to be around firearms that are being handled and passed around? Sure, meet up at DMS, have a safety talk in Hatcher’s, while the firearms remain locked in their cases in the vehicles. Then, caravan to the range, where you can show off and mutually admire each other’s equipment, and even try them out on the range if you are so inclined.

3 Likes

Actually, because of the guaranteed presence of live ammo, this is forbidden at most ranges, at least in the range area. Eagle only allows firearms out of their cases at the bays. You can’t even move a firearm from bay to bay without putting it back in its case first.

You would have to find a range that would rent you a room for said function, and they may require that you pay for one of their staff members to check all firearms and bags entering the room, if they would allow it at all. And the other challenge is which way away from DMS does this happen? How many fewer interested people bother to drive away from DMS, instead of dropping in for a look and talk?

Host at DMS, inspect for an empty chamber, put a wire tie through the barrel and out the breech and back to the end of the barrel would make all feel safe and allow handling of the hardware by all. And could keep mags off the hardware or not for semi autos. This is more that what’s done at a gun show.

1 Like

Wow, where do you get the 48 inch cable ties that some rifles would require?

I’ve never seen a gun show do the cable ties through the barrel. I’ve seen them go through the action, usually through the magazine well and ejection port.

But this prevents getting a feel for how a particular action feels when cycled, which can be of particular interest on a pump action or lever action.

Cased and unloaded firearms, checked by those teaching/hosting. Safety is paramount, and building good safety habits is more important than making others “feel” safe.

Check chamber, check magwell, check bolt/slide face, look away, repeat. It’s a technique I and many others have used along with a chamber flag after the firearm has been checked. And it is repeated every time I pick up the firearm and I don’t know the condition of it. Building the habit helps prevent negligent discharges, much moreso than relying on cables or other mechanical implements. Out of battery detonations are a thing that can happen and do, and they and other ND’s happen because the habit of checking the condition of the firearm was nonexistent.

2 Likes

Perhaps Elm Fork? That’s run by the City of Dallas Parks & Recreation and isn’t far from the space. It’s down by Luna and Royal.

1 Like

I commend you for being safe and promoting safe handling, however, a zip tie or cable lock is not replacing safety checks. It is going to ensure that in a group setting of mixed experience that one is safe and stays safe. I am not going to (nor should anyone) assume that everyone in there has properly checked a firearm especially since there has already been mention of bringing loaded carry pieces.

Quote, please.
I missed that.
And didn’t see it in my review of the thread.

The discussion up above about 30.06 signs, searches, and keeping carry pieces in the holster. I might have read further into it as no one person specifically said “I will carry my CHL”, I just got that implied feeling.

1 Like

Ah.

So Todd’s assertion that loaded weapons are carried on premises got transferred into

Thank you for clarifying that.
An assertion that carrying already happens is much different than “…mention of bringing loaded carry pieces [to a DMS Hatcher’s Armory event]”.