[RFC] TensorFlow Deep Learning Software Coding

Next weekend is right after Thanksgiving, so I would suggest the following weekend. I should be open on either Saturday or Sunday; as we get closer, we can pick which one.

Meanwhile, I went through an awful lot of material preceding the presentation and am still finishing up my take on what materials were most useful to me. That GitHub repo I linked to earlier will have (at least a link to) my slide deck and example code. Stay tuned for more updates to it tonight/over the weekend.

OK I am fairly new to all of this, I plan on studying programming and deep learning for the long term, I believe there will be major opportunities over the next 10-20 years.

FYI Iā€™d recommend access to a GPU with CUDA support. Training neural networks is (computationally) expensive.

Come to a NEIWG meeting. We are experimenting with Neural Networks for our prosthesis project. @renkessa Scott Is our leader.

will you be teaching more on this?

Someday soon, probably in early March at Improving Enterprises in Plano. However, Google is doing a live TensorFlow streaming talk thing on or around 2/15, and the Google Developers Group Dallas (GDG Dallas) is running an event around the talk on the 16th. Unfortunately I will probably be out of town that day.

can we meet, and talk about Tensor Flow? I am extremely interested in this topic.

@mrhavens

@brianbterry and me are reliably at the Space on Wednesday evenings. Iā€™m just a beginner, but Iā€™ve begun to use TensorFlow in my research. Brian has more experience.

are you there on any other day? wednesdays are bad for me.

Iā€™m at the Space often, but have an irregular schedule. I wonā€™t be around much in July.

OK thanks maybe we can meet up when you have some time.

Are you looking to use pre-existing models or actually code something from scratch with Tensorflow? I havenā€™t had the need to program anything specifically in TF yet because pre-existing models tend to work well enough for my needs. If you need to code your own, I can ask Jared from one of the other meetups if we could start some kind of office hours.

1 Like

I just want to play around with TF and learn the process for myself. Nothing specific.
Take a look at this:

I talked to @brianbterry, who said he could make an effort to be there on Tuesday nights if thereā€™s going to be regular TensorFlow discussion. I could do the same.

1 Like

Could we meet this coming Tuesday? Would all of you be able to make it?

sounds great! yes lets meet up!!!

Iā€™ll be there, certainly.

1 Like

Yay, so glad folks can make it! I have made a calendar entry for it for Tuesday 6/27 6:30-9 PM in the Electronics Room; that should come online by Sunday. (The classrooms are full; doesnā€™t stop us from being in the common area, but wanted to have a reserved spot just in case.) Iā€™m bringing in Jared Ostmeyer from UT Southwestern Medical Center who uses Tensorflow at work for research.

BTW, unlike Jared, My Tensorflow Project Isnā€™t Saving the World :wink:

2 Likes

Although Iā€™m new to TensorFlow, Iā€™m in the process of learning how to train on datasets using the following TACC clusters for my research:

https://www.tacc.utexas.edu/systems/maverick
https://www.tacc.utexas.edu/stampede/

Iā€™ll take all the input and advice I can get.