RF Spectrum Analyzer for ELab

I second the 20dB attenuator. Even if this SA doesn’t need it, some do, and it’s a good habit for anyone using an SA to have, especially if we ever get another SA in the lab.

I also suggest avoiding BNC. For one thing, BNC lowers the barriers to misuse in a general access environment with the full range of skill levels. Also, most accessories will be SMA or N.

For purposes of buying cables and accessories, it would be good to standardize on N or SMA connectors, using SMA or N adapters on the RF equipment. I suggest SMA, since those cables are more flexible and easier to store and manage, and will fit more preamps, probes, etc.

If the RF equipment, cables, and accessories are kept together in a special section and have (kind of) special connectors, they are less likely to be randomly abused. For example, if cables are SMA, it would be less likely for someone to borrow one to hook into a scope, and then roll a chair caster over it.

1 Like

I will be at the Makerspace this evening (Wednesday). I will install both a 30 dB pad and a DC Block adapter to the Spectrum Analyzer. 30 dB may be a little high, but an experienced RF guy can work with it. 30 dB is to protect against the inexperienced person that tries to use the Spectrum Analyzer like an oscilloscope. That will be my donation to the cause. Hopefully these items will stay with the equipment.

Good idea about which adapter is installed first and the theory behind it. In this forum it helps to teach others why a certain process is done. First install the 30 dB pad, then the DC block. The user will then connect to the DC block network. The 30 dB pad is an HP 11708A which is a reference attenuator, super accurate at 50 MHz but still usable at higher frequencies. I’m sure I have another regular (less expensive) attenuator in my parts bin, I’ll keep looking. At least this will work in the mean time.

The box it’s being stored in may not leave enough room for those to stay connected to it in storage. It doesn’t need to stay in that box though if someone finds a better one.

Here’s the pict that didn’t make the first post:

30 dB Attenuator and DC Block - Donated by Rich Meyer.

Put this on the input before connecting the signal you want to measure!

1 Like

There are several youtube videos on the uses of this spectrum-analyzer. Don’t know if it will help find more bass from earbuds but could be interesting to see someone try. ha

https://www.google.com/search?q=Siglent+SSA3021X&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS739US739&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwivqaPZzsnbAhUDvVkKHfX-A0cQ_AUICygC&biw=1396&bih=668

1 Like

Art thank you for all your hard work, looking forward to using this in the future!