RetinaEngrave3D Download Credentials

I talked with Aaron at FullSpectrum Engineering about downloading the RetinaEngrave software. HE said it was fine to install it on multiple computers as it only works with an FS laser. The laser should have come with credentials for downloading the software (link below is password protected)

http://www.fullspectrumengineering.com/Protected/DownloadRetina.html

I thought this might decongest the laser workflow as a user could print thier file to Retina beforehand and make any adjustments and save the retina engrave file to bring up once they were ready to go.

Is that software available on the DMS servers or could we make the credentials available to members?

Thanks,
Andy

2 Likes

Credentials won’t be made available to members but the installer for the software can probably be hosted at the makerspace.

1 Like

Good deal!

I think this also allows users to familiarize themselves with the Retina software without having to actually sit at the laser workstation.

1 Like

Can we also have the RetinaEngrave software installed on the Jump server? (Once we have the installer available a helpdesk ticket may be all that’s required …)

2 Likes

I’m OK with this, but @lukeiamyourfather would have to approve (as Laser Chairperson)

1 Like

Here is the issue the laser is on the network where potentially someone could use the jump server or personal laptop and send a print job while they are not in front of the laser.

While the laser committee is still investigating going over to USB at this time it is on the network the concern with giving people access is that they connect to the laser and run jobs.

This is absolutely prohibited

1 Like

I would like to emphasize…

Sending (or attempting to send) a print job to either laser from anywhere except within arm’s reach of the laser, is absolutely prohibited.

If we learn that anyone has tried to (or “accidentally” does so), I will recommend that the MAC address of the device involved be blocked from the DMS network to prevent any potential damage to the laser(s), building, and potential harm to members and visitors of Dallas Makerspace. This action would effectively render the device (laptop, tablet, computer) unable to connect to any of our resources - including the Internet, etc…

tl;dr: Make NO attempt to connect to either laser for any reason unless you are within arm’s reach of said laser.

1 Like

Good points all. A few ideas come to mind …
Idea 1: Just for safeties sake perhaps we could consider blocking inbound jobs to the FSL from the network?

Idea 2: Can we install RetinaEngrave ONLY on the Jump server and have infrastructure add a firewall rule blocking access from there to the machine driving the FSL itself? While #1 would prevent this having it blocked in two places is perhaps not a terrible idea :smile:

The solution is to restrict access via acl on the domain to computer that is at the laser. The laser should not be on the domain and it should not be shared. All solvable problems.

I would like to have the software on a laptop to teach a class without tying up the laser. Wonder if you can even use it if not actually connected to the laser…aka offline mode

Here is how…

Create domain user “FullSpectrumUser”
Assign the user to login only to FSL pc
Assign the fsluser sole permission to print to fsl.

For lasersaur restrict access to its internal web server ip to the pc sitting next to it.

From Full Spectrum Laser support

It is possible to have the software installed on as many computers as you like, However only one computer can be connected to the laser at a time.