Restroom changes

I’m not opposed to the changes… just curious how OSHA applies to us when we have no employees.

1 Like

I don’t think Chris is saying OSHA applies to us. But they have standards for the number of bathrooms/stalls etc. for work places based on ratios of men to women. It is at least a standard that can be looked at and not just “winging” an answer.

4 Likes

So no objection to any government defined standards, but is there a reason we can’t have all restrooms be unisex? I mean it’s just a room to pee and crap in.

3 Likes

If all were single stalls, then I would agree. I’ve been in unisex bathrooms with multiple stalls in Europe and Asia (mainly in airports). Basically the stalls are basically very small rooms with small gaps between floor and ceiling, including the door and there is no crack that can be seen through. Looked like these:

3 Likes

David’s on the right track. But here’s the clincher. If someone goes into a restroom and locks the outer door, presumably to prevent a different sex person from entering, then we have made a two-facility room into a one-facility room for the duration. Instead of increasing the availability, it cuts it in half.

1 Like

Why do you have to do such a good job of thinking this out?

I want to hit and run comment about something obvious you missed and then leave the comment section and you’re making that really hard on me. :wink:

4 Likes

Is there some requirement for the outer door to have a lock at all?

Edit: To be clear, I don’t have any real preference one way or the other on the unisex versus specific sex bathrooms so long as there is a relatively clean place for me to go when I need it. I’d be fine with all unisex but I know some people wouldn’t.

1 Like

I just tend to do my business down the drain hole in the floor. No need for stalls!

2 Likes

hmmmmm,

casual observation Radar?

(this of course is a bit a humor-I don’t expect the snowflakes to understand)

2 Likes

OK, standards for workplaces with employees is one thing – That’s because people who are there for 8-9 hours at a stretch can’t always leave to go somewhere else.

We aren’t really like that - although I realize some people choose to be there for 9+ hours at a time.

Consider other places of business… Like Starbucks or McDonalds… that have thousands and thousands of people in and out every day, but only one “stall” for each sex available because that’s all they need due to their employee count.

Do I really care? Not really. I try to do my business before I go to DMS or after I’m home, FWIW.
I can’t believe I’m taking the 2 minutes to type this up, frankly. It just seems that we sometimes find things to keep ourselves busy, like changing the signs on the bathrooms to comply with regulations that don’t apply to us.

1 Like

Thank you for your input. You have added to the meaningfulness of this thread a great deal.

And one more time, Thanks @John_Marlow for doing the work on this. I’m happy you’ve put the thought and effort into the facilities at DMS.

4 Likes

I guess someone has never had a long 3 d print run

And lots of older folks are on medications that cause them to need to use the
restroom more that maybe you do

1 Like

We have multiple times throughout the day where all bathrooms are occupied. At least all but womens, I cannot speak for it. I and several folks I know spend upwards of 14 hours at one time at DMS working on things regularly. I have had times of being stuck at DMS for over 24 hrs on an auto repair that didnt go as planned. The only truly slow time now days is midnight to around 4am.

2 Likes

I wonder if we should consider if we could turn them all into unisex

I hope the expansion will help with this some

1 Like

If we were to go all unisex, it would have to be with stalls rather than with door locks as we have done. We can’t sustain a 50% drop in toilet availability. When the front men’s bathroom was down one toilet we started encountering wait times even during off-peak hours.

1 Like

It would have to be with walls like Davids posted

2 Likes

And, we don’t have the space for that. Going all unisex would lose us 2 toilets – a 33% drop in availability.

Bad idea then

Might not be room but I was thinking just make longer stalls wit more complete doors and such

If all the stalls were like those in the photos all stalls with toilets would be available to everyone. The men’s urinal would be a stall … unless desperation required, I can’t imagine women wanting to use one.

The current Unisex bathroom across from CA also serves as a wheel chair accessible toilet.

I doubt we’ll ever see these types of stalls installed at DMS.

3 Likes

Well – if you can figure out TARDIS technology for the restrooms, then we could do that.

3 Likes