[Resource] What local "makery" stores can't you live without?

Woodcraft
601 W. Plano Parkway
Plano, TX 75075
972-422-2732

Woodworking tools, supplies and advice.

This is a small shop, about 2000 square feet, located in a strip mall on Plano Parkway. I was surprised to find they have the new, SawStop table saw, that shuts off if the blade encounters a body part.

Glass working folks might know about a place in Lewisville called Art Glass City located just west of I-35 at 420 E. Round Grove Road #620 www.artglasscity.com 214-488-9412

Tanner Electronics

on Valwood

Brand new harbor freight in rowlett, 66, and rowlett road. 1/2 mile off GWB . It’s on my way to work if I go that way. http://www.harborfreight.com/

Thank you for posting this list. I also want to add Regal Plastics, 9200 N Royal Lane, Irving, TX 75063. 1-800-441-1553.

Here’s a local wood supply source that has some pretty fair prices. Dakota Premium Hardwoods @ 641 W. Mockingbird Ln., Dallas. They are only open 9-5 M-F but will stay open late if you call in an order and tell them when you are coming to pick it up.

I went to Turner Hardware yesterday, the owner has retired and it will now become an Ace hardware. Apparently they’ll be updating the store but keeping the same employees and hard to find hardware. It was probably mentioned already but its a great place to find odd-ball metric hardware, even in stainless.

I was buying all my screws from Mcmaster and then one day discovered BA Industrial. They will have pretty much any screw you may need. I do believe you will need to buy a whole box, as opposed to two or three screws, but they are not that expensive. They have way much more than just screws, BTW.

http://www.baindustrial.com/index.html

They are very close to the Metal Supermarkets in Plano.

2 Likes

I second BA Industrial. Excellent selection of screws/fasteners and really good prices. Usually a box of 100 screws is less than $5

Scrap in Denton is either a total waste of time or a treasure trove of strangeness. It’s just the luck of the moment really.
Great for random bits of fabric and yarn always but everything else is a crap shoot.
http://scrapdenton.org
Whenever I go I usually take a pile of randomness to balance out the karma.

These are a few places that I use that are not on the list:

[Machine Parts, Chemicals, Tools] Tractor Supply - ROANOKE - 1701 NORTH HWY 377, ROANOKE, TX 76262 817-491-8203
- DENTON - 1200 SOUTH LOOP 288, DENTON,TX 76205 940-387-5600
[Tech, Computer Parts] Tiger Direct - 14060 Dallas Pkwy, Dallas, TX 75254 972-581-8600
[Pipe, plumbing, valves] All-tex Pipe & Supply - 9743 Brockbank, Dallas, TX 75220 - 214-350-5886
[Auto Parts] O’Reilly Auto Parts - 13300 Josey Lane - Farmers Branch, TX (972) 241-0178
[Webbing, Gear] Army Navy Warehouse 14015 N Stemmons Fwy, Dallas, TX 75234 (972) 432-5108
[Motorcycle Parts] Bates Discount Cycle Parts - 14007 N Stemmons Freeway, Dallas, TX 75234 (972) 620-0929
[Welding Supplies] Metroplex Welding Supply - 1970 W Northwest Hwy, Dallas, TX 75220 (972) 556-0213
[Tech, Computer Parts] Microcenter - 13929 N Central Expy, Dallas, TX 75243 (972) 664-8500

I’m swirling a glass of their finest right now, in fact…

— Zach

There is also a Harbor Freight on Camp Wisdom Rd in Duncanville.

An interesting source of some things will the the Zero Landfill day. A carpet contractor, near the airport collects decorator sample books and other items and several times a year they have a Sat when folks are invited to come and find treasures of all types.

Lots of stone tiles of all types, carpet samples, fabric, leather, wood laminate samples, even metal and glass samples. I filled 3 tote bags and a large box on my trip.

I recommend adding:
Vanderburg Drafting Supply
2373 Valley View Lane @ I-35
Dallas, TX 75234
[http://www.vanderburgdraftingsupply.com/][1]

It is very close to DMS.
[1]: http://www.vanderburgdraftingsupply.com/

Hi. what is the status of this project?
I think it is a great tool.
having a comments section for each entry would be good, letting us talk about their strengths/weaknesses.

Alex already suggested Hardwood Lumber. Great folks. friendly to DIYers. They will take the time to explain what they have. Not far from the Space.

Seconding (thirding?) Hardwood Lumber Co. Pretty much just down the street from the space, much easier to get help in vs. Central Hardwoods.

Hardwood Lumber Company at 10551 Goodnight Ln. is definitely on my list. :smile:

Status: I have already gone in to correct the geocoded predictions of each location (64 of them!), and now each point in my table sits (for the most part) in the establishment’s parking lot. The critical steps needed before completion include:

• Picking a map style to use
  • Selecting colors and shapes for each placemarker to designate resource type
  • Acquiring foam core or corkboard to mount the map on
  • Finding a place to hang the map

Anyone interested in helping me with these tasks should come up to meet me (or join a Google Hangout if necessary) this Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 3:00 PM in the Arts Room.

Why not create a data driven map on the wiki page, using google maps api for the mapping function and google docs for the ‘database’? I can provide some sample code, if your interested. The nice thing about the online version is that it can be easily maintained, can hyperlink to the stores web pages, etc…

1 Like

It’s tough to beat a large, nicely-printed wallmap.

@mrcity I can make the pins for you, just tell me what different ones you need, I’ll make a simple mold and cast them out of epoxy with a pin in them. If anyone want to help and see the process, I can plan a little class and we can all chip in for the epoxy.