[RESOLVED] Theft of tools from Makerspace!

Far be it from you to speak to the ethics of wage slavery when every other post you make has an electric chair targeted at our own membership in it…

As for socket safety in the express service bay of a Honda shop, the only tools Bevo ever broke were chrome sockets and the cheap ratchets they were attached to. Given the requirement for safety glasses, I don’t think anyone was in danger of being hospitalized because an oil change tech spent so much on child support, he couldn’t afford to step foot in the fap-off truck.

Regarding tool margins, I’m confident that Craftsman’s hand tool line is a loss leader used to draw people in to the more expensive, high-margin power tools, toolchests, and gardening equipment. (I’m also confident that the loss-leading aspect of these tools contributed significantly to Sears’ financial decline and the sale of the Craftsman brand to Stanley Black & Decker)

Do try to describe the targets accurately. However, that is a non-secutar. Apple products have been documented to be manufactured with slave labor tactics, with the full knowledge of the company. White wash that all you like.

Have you ever run a company? If not, what is the basis for your comments on loss leaders and high margin? IMO, nothing Craftsman sells is high margin. Today very little retail merchandise qualifies as high margin.

For fear of this becoming a pissing match, I’ll leave you to your own thoughts on the subject Walter.

Too late. The question now is, who’s got the bigger bladder? Or stronger Kegel muscles, I guess, depending on what winning the match is based upon.

1 Like

I’m not an Apple phone guy - I prefer a real smart phone
Older US made Craftsman wrenches and assorted tools - Yes - those are great

Simple fact - when a tool is going to destroy or damage the auto part being removed due to the wrench’s piss poor manufacturing (16mm Pittsgurgh Horror freight brand) process, then it is worse having it in the tool box vs not having it at all. The example is not a “what if” - it is based on a need at the time.
If the techs at Honda are good with damaging customer’s cars by using tools that clearly do not fit anything correctly - that is their call.
I wasn’t trained to cause damage to property (mine or a customers nor the taxpayers aircraft) by using bargain basement shite that doesn’t work.
Some Techs don’t know, some just don’t care,

I am NOT advocating for “professional” US made hand tools, just better tools that actually fit the fasteners / related parts correctly when used by folks that know how to use those tools correctly.

2 Likes

No. it’s about the quality of the metal, the process by which it is formed into the tool, and the tempering given to it.

QC comes long after that… after it’s cleaned, chromed, and polished.

2 Likes

Not if it is done properly, where QC/QA is performed at each step of the manufacturing process. However, when all or part of the manufacturing is turned over to a third party, you have to rely upon them for the QC. Something the cheap Chinese manufacturers do poorly. It’s all but impossible to do proper QC at the end of the process, particularly if the manufacturing process is inconsistent. It is also impossible to do and maintain price points.

Sorry Raymond, QA is involved from beginning, not sure where you worked.

• QA verifies PO for raw material is correct specification
  • QA verifies proper material ordered and from approved supplier (first two can be automated for certain items that are repeat orders)
  • QA verifies the material certs upon receiving, on hand tools doubt any NDT or destructive test
  • QA verifies in process heat treat, surface treatments, etc. both at end of process and with surveillance during process
  • QA verifies dimensional, for items that have high volume this will be done through SPC, includes any destructive sampling if required, e.g cut-ups, rupturing/cracking, etc.
  • QA verifies final buy off to release verifying all steps completed.

Goal is to catch any problems early in process before more added value is pt in to product or thousands of bad products made. It’s not just an aerospace-electronics-medical device thing. Those have more steps.

2 Likes

You think that the HF cheapie tools are going to have QA at every step of the process? I have some ocean front property out in West Texas to sell you.

We’re talking HF tools here, not even the currently cheapened Craftsman.

What even happened to this topic… the tools are now back in their homes.

End Thread.

7 Likes