[RESOLVED] PlasmaCAM Marked Degraded

The PlasmaCAM is fully operational, but we have no electrodes for it. I have marked the status board as “degraded”. I am told that Chuck has ordered more electrodes (Thank you Adam!). No idea how long they’ll take to get here. You should bring your own if you want to use it at all.
I have removed the (badly burnt) electrode I found floating around. It does NOT work well, and I fear it’ll ruin the torch if used too much.
Additionally, we have removed the old-torch style electrodes from the toolbox, as they appear to simply cause confusion, and be of no use.

THIS is a badly burnt electrode, and should have been replaced long ago:

3 Likes

We used up all the electrodes in the consumables kit already? Wow.

1 Like

I think it would be wise for anyone planning to use the plasmacam to have a set of their own electrodes and nozzles.

7 Likes

I certainly recommend in that my classes.

4 Likes

Mentioned in class :slight_smile: Wondering though if this is normal wear or maybe low gas flow.

Edit: links to Electrode wear in air and oxygen plasma

2 Likes

Can y’all remind us which part numbers to pick up? Is it out on the wiki?

1 Like

It’s on the wiki: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/CNC_Plasma_Cutter_Training#Equipment

I have a set of both regular and fine cut electrodes. PM me if you need one right away.

2 Likes

It’s on the wiki but here is the consumable kit with the individual part #s as well:

The complete kit is also available online as: HYPERTHERM POWERMAX 65 ESSENTIAL HANDHELD CUTTING CONSUMABLE KIT 851465 Going price is $150 shipped. Hypertherm Powermax 65 Essential Handheld Cutting Consumable Kit Includes:

Part # Contents
220818 Drag Cutting Shield for 65-85 A
220819 Drag Cutting Nozzle 65 A
220842 Electrode
220854 Retaining cap
220857 Swirl Ring
027055 Lubricant
058519 O-rings

1 Like

I don’t know what your opinions are on aftermarket consumables, but I always used them in the stuff I had at my last home, and never had an issue.

True, they don’t last quite as long as the branded consumables, but at their prices, they’re hard to beat.

1 Like

I’m not sure what the issue is but when came in this weekend the torch and it’s part seemed to be covered I soot. I have my own consumables so I didn’t use the ones that were in the torch. I took pictures. I didn’t have any issues but this didn’t look normal when I got to the space. Maybe someone cut dirty metal or used incorrect cut speed or z height?

1 Like

That looks like not enough gas and too fast. I’m brand new to CNC plasma cutting, but have been using a handheld torch for years, and that looks like a torch that was trying to cut thick metal too fast and with not enough gas pressure. That’s why the slag is blown back onto the shield. Even getting the plasma too high wouldn’t result in that much blowback without a combination of the other two.

Yep, that looks like someone was almost gouging with it. What time/date did you find the torch in this condition?

2 Likes

Since this machine is not ours, I’d lean toward using only Hypertherm-branded consumables. @Team_Metal_Shop needs to make a call on this one.

2 Likes

Yes hypertherm consumables only please. Zach hit it right on the head. As for the head, we can speculate all day long. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter. If we keep to our protocols & procedures, we should be fine.

1 Like

I took the photo Saturday at 3:27pm

This is what the electrode and nozzle looked like

I just got word from Chuck that Plasmacam is 100% now. He went & picked up some consumables.

4 Likes

There was (is still?) a pretty heavy plate with some square(ish) (Maybe Tardis?) looking objects cut out, leaning up against the wall in the metal shop. Some of them were a bit gnarly looking cuts.

That electrode looks to be less pitted than it did for Andrew’s class though.

1 Like

Where are the consumables? The only shield I can find is for gouging, I don’t see anything at all in the red toolbox tray by the welding equipment.

There is no specific shield for gouging, so you’re probably referring to the drag shield which we currently use to protect the nozzle.

As a reminder, this machine should be used in continuous cut mode only (3-way switch in middle position) with enough amps selected to penetrate completely during the cut. If you watch the sparks coming out of the back side, they should exit at a 30-45 degree angle lagging the torch’s direction of movement. This indicates a proper torch speed and amperage combination.