[Resolved] I'm no expert, does this look safe?

and an extra point towards a Darwin award. I think we have a contender!

2 Likes

I can see on the automotive camera that the big yellow fan is back on the floor.

2 Likes

Not a contenderā€¦ old enough to have likely already procreated. :wink:

7 Likes

Look Iā€™m all for finding the safe way to do unsafe things, but I canā€™t even figure the logic behind putting the fan there. Some people should just simply donā€™t.

3 Likes

Depends on whether some woman was dumb enough to cooperateā€¦

5 Likes

bwahahahaha!!! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

more necessary training material. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

NIck,

what about the folks that have no brain to engage?

2 Likes

Wellā€¦ He did have protection on his head.

1 Like

I have looked at the picture and donā€™t know what Iā€™ looking at,

1 Like

Thatā€™s one of the huge floor fans just kinda laid on top of the engine. On a car On The Lift.

1 Like

according to Darwin that problem will work itself out.

1 Like

Was it lashed to the car or just sitting up there?

1 Like

Alcohol works wonders ā€¦

5 Likes

Guys - I think we can all express our thoughts on the safety of the activity without insulting or demeaning the member. I expect most of us have done a ā€œdumb thingā€ or two over the years, neh?

4 Likes

I am the one who put the fan on my engine to cool it down so I could change the oil and filter. Otherwise it takes a long time for the engine to cool down, particularly the exhaust manifold which is right in front of the oil filter.

There is a latch to secure the hood which sticks up and sticks through the grill in the fan which keeps it from slipping off the engine.

Kee was working close to my area and after I finished I went to explain to him how this was a safe procedure but he left shortly before I finished.

Hopefully my explanation will provide comfort to those concerned about my safety.

Maybe the auto shop should get a smaller fan to be used for this purpose. Obviously other people have to work on their hot engines - do they just tie up the lift until it cools down?

2 Likes

no, weā€™re doing this because this was the real issue. Arguing about safety is unacceptable (or is the concept of safety just hot air?). He should have just corrected his dumb mistake and moved on, or just moved on and out. Actions like this should have consequences (preferably the fan falling down on him) so being made fun of is the consequence in this case. Youā€™re right - weā€™ve probably all done dumb things, but most of just correct it and is why we still have all our fingers and toes. (and ok, Iā€™m done as requested).

5 Likes

Iā€™ve had great experience putting the fan in front of the engine and grabbing a snack, only takes a couple of minutes and the airflow from the grill cools down the coolant, engine and transmission better than a top down fan does.

3 Likes

I takes more than a couple of minutes. Twenty minutes of that big fan working on the high setting, the exhaust manifold is still warm.

Iā€™ve talked with @ANDREW_MACHA and Iā€™m convinced that the way he did it was, in fact, safeā€¦ but is an extremely bad example for other members. He agreed and said that he would not be putting that fan back on top of the engine in the future.

I consider the matter closed.

8 Likes