[Resolved] I'm no expert, does this look safe?

This looks dangerous even to me. Or is this considered best practice at most automotive places?

2 Likes

That’s his new super charger! can’t wait to see the hood scoop.

2 Likes

Gonna need a long extension cord for it to continue to work properly…

2 Likes

What it lacks in inches of Hg it makes up in raw CFM.

2 Likes

The fan does have a cage on it at least.

1 Like

In all seriousness, if there’s nothing but friction holding that fan in place, you’re looking at An Accident Waiting To Happen™.

1 Like

The fan belt on that one is also lose and now gravity is working against it, if the fan stops working the belt came off.

Or is the AC out in the workshop?

Interesting

1 Like

I told the guy that it really looked seriously unsafe. He seemed really put out that I “objected”. I said, "I’m not objecting. What I said was, “That looks really unsafe.”
He didn’t seem to care. Even if it meant someone else could get hurt because of it.

I don’t get people.

Would this be allowed in any professional automotive shop?

3 Likes

Honestly, it seems unsafe but I have no concrete reason why it shouldn’t be allowed.

Here’s the only manual for the fan I know of:

Kee - thank you for trying.
I can’t speak for automotive, but that is the kind of behavior that would earn someone a permanent vacation from the machine shop. All jokes aside - We take safety seriously. I’ve told our members that if they see someone doing something unsafe in the MS to tell them so (nicely). If they want to argue to find me or David and we’ll tell them in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS or kick them the hell out. DMS should have little tolerance for STUPID, At least now we have a face to associate with stupid and keep an eye out for.

3 Likes

If he still has the fan on his engine, tell him that I said to get it the F*&% off… Right NOW, No excuses.

If he gives you any lip tell him that will earn him a complaint letter to the board that will at the very least get him a 30 day vacation from Automotive.

3 Likes

in fact that picture should be included in the lift training or posted on the lift as a “what not to to”.

5 Likes

no amount of pictures of folks doing stupid things will change those folks - it is a nice idea thou…

I’d like to hear the rational behind utilizing that fan in that way.

1 Like

O man the new third photo is the worst!!!

This is so obviously bad. Please stop Einstein from hurting himself.

3 Likes

If I was a betting man, he has the engine running and looking for an oil/water/coolant leak! But I dont bet… lol

1 Like

Nick,

Just think of the amount or air blowing through that engine compartment and not wearing good eye protection…

2 Likes

Nah,
He is all good, you can tell a true mechanic by the choice of a Tide bottle for used oil. That man has washed his fair share of oily clothes.

3 Likes

we could save up all the pictures and create a compilation slide show for laughs at events or have a judging for future darwin recipient.

7 Likes

That is a great idea Nick!

1 Like