Resin earring making

Hello all!

I would like to make some resin earrings but would like to get some guidance from someone with experience.

I am inspired by this woman’s work

I am considering using the following supplies: resin 2-piece kit, mold, mold release, earring backs

Here is one how-to video that I liked

Does anyone have experience with this material?

Questions include: if the earrings are clear, how do I prevent the earring backs from showing through? How do I make the earrings have a glossy, hard, elegant look as opposed to a gummy-like look? Can you give me ideas on how to color the resin?

1 Like

I played with ICE resin a little bit - it’s a lot of fun. I liked this book for ideas. You’ll want a UV resistant resin like ICE resin so it is less likely to turn yellow. You can spray something over the resin to make it glossy, I’ll try to find and post what I used. There are special resin dyes that you can use to color it.

Resin Alchemy: Innovative Techniques for Mixed-Media and Jewelry Artists https://www.amazon.com/dp/1596686448/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_kgnkzb6N89WJQ

This is what I used for my resin pieces if they weren’t glossy when I took them out of the mold. It doesn’t have great reviews but it worked for me.

Environmental Technology 5-1/4-Ounce Castin’ Craft Resin Craft Surface Coat Spray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AG0OQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_NlnkzbSSN80RK

Here are a few things I made. I also coat random things with resin to strengthen them and give them a wet look. I like working with resin because you can make jewelry out of anything. I picked up flowers, leaves and even tree bark from a Colorado trip and used it to make a souvenir necklace for a gift. I also use a lot of things that I pick up whenever I go to the beach.

6 Likes

I’m waiting for product to arrive before I officially schedule (manufacturer is a little hazy on when it’ll show up) but we will be having a jewelry resin class around June 8th doing something very similar to what your inspiration is. The resin and assorted accessories we need a little pricey so there will be a fee for that one. Likely $10-$15 but you’ll leave with a finished piece

4 Likes

I’ll keep an eye out!

You should definitely use ice resin. It’s far more resilient than the stuff you’ll find at hobby stores.

I ran a business based off it for many years

5 Likes

Still waiting on product otherwise we may have to make do with a home depot special

Materials arrived! Resin and molds and colorants oh my! I’m even happy to do a full work flow class making the wooden framed pendants from start to finish.

Since I’m on vacation with little impacting schedule all I need to know is what day/time works best.

3 Likes

Friday, Saturday, Sunday afternoon-evening.

Friday evening, anytime Saturday/Sunday